cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon SB-A100 Subwoofer

Hurkle
Apprentice

Hello,

My topic didn't really pertain to any other thread... so general discussion it is. I was gifted a Canon SB-A100 Subwoofer and I can't for the life of me, figure out what the deal is. Canon apparently dabbled in the audio game but didn't stick around too long. This is a nice subwoofer and I'm just interested in its story as well as its specs.

Does anybody have any information on this item; like manual, specs or an other relevant documents? There are some pictures in the link below. I can post more if needed.

Thanks!

http://imgur.com/a/tKiVW

11 REPLIES 11

Schotland
Contributor

I have the same subwoofer, I own two of them.   I need a manual for them too!   Have you had any luck in 5 years? 

@Schotland wrote:

"I have the same subwoofer, I own two of them.   I need a manual for them too!" 

This is the first of 5 articles about the Canon Audio company, written by Phil Ward, who worked for the company from 1990 till it went out of business in 1996. Nothing in it about the SB-A100, but his contact info is on the page and the page seems to be up to date. Hopefully, he may be able to help. Here is the article.

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Newton kindly alerted me to this thread via my blog (and its Canon Audio story posts).

I'm actually not sure what an SB-A100 is and it might be something that Canon US did independently and not related to the UK based Canon Audio where I was Design Manager. Canon Audio launched two subs (that I remember anyway). The SB-20 (aimed at consumer audio) and the VB-100 aimed at commercial installed sound and designed for corner mounting to match the V-100 

Danny_0-1667396697763.png

So, if anybody's still interested, take a picture of the mythical SB-A100 and send it to me via my blog/website: https://musicandmiscellany.com and I'll see if it's a sub I know anything about.

Cheers

Phil

[Commercial link removed per forum guidelines and replaced with screenshot of destination to facilitate discussion.]

Thank you for checking in, Phil. I will send you the images from the Imgur link in the OP. For those that don't want to click the link, here is a collage of the images.

SB-A100-1a.jpg

Newton

EOS R5, R6, R6II. RF 15-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.2L, 85mm f/1.2L, 100mm f/2.8L Macro, 100-400mm, 100-500mm L, 1.4X.

Hi All,

So having seen the picture now, I can't offer much help. It's not a subwoofer I recognise as having come out of Canon Audio in the UK, although having seen it now, I do have a vague memory of Canon USA sourcing an OEM subwoofer to sell alongside the Canon Audio speakers I was involved in. As far as the subwoofer goes, it looks a decidedly ordinary device that might have come from any number of Chinese factories in the mid to late 1990s. Not Canon's finest moment!

Phil

Thank you very much, Phil!

Newton

I just want to add that my interest in this is that I am a musician, audiophile, and avid Canon user. So, I don't own these woofers and it's just a matter of curiosity 🙂

Newton

shadowsports
Legend
Legend

Greetings,

Afraid hurkle hasn't been back since he/she posted in 2017.  I didn't know Canon made subs, but Google revealed otherwise. 

I'd google the model numbers and hope for a hit.

~Rick
Bay Area - CA

~R5 C (1.0.6.1) ~RF Trinity, ~RF 100 Macro, ~RF 100~400, ~RF 100~500, +RF 1.4x TC, +Canon Control Ring, BG-R10, 430EX III-RT ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DaVinci Resolve ~Windows11 Pro ~ImageClass MF644Cdw/MF656Cdw ~Pixel 8
~CarePaks Are Worth It

This post is SPAM.  There is what appears to be a malicious link in the original post.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements