cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

wanting to purchase a new camera

nikkilmorgan
Apprentice

I had the privilege of using a friends Rebel Ts2 this summer & loved it. My sister has one that's a generation older than the one I used. I've tried hers and found it more difficult. I'm not sure if it was the settings they were using or the difference in the camera. I have 5 children & love taking pics of them. There are so many options to choose from. I need and want to take a couple of college courses on cameras & pics but until then how do I know what to choose? I don't want one that's too complicated but I want to make good quality pics that I can make into larger prints with a good resolution. I bought a Canon Powershot SX120 IS that I have despised since day one. The saleswoman at Best Buy convinced me it was the best easy to use Canon & she owned one & loved it. I HATE it!!! Worst camera ever!!! It takes forever to reset till its ready to take the next pic. It doesn't take good enough resolution to print anything bigger than an 8x10 and those aren't very good quality. I want something like my friend has with possibly the newest technology as long as its as user friendly. Which camera do you suggest? I still like Canon just hate the powershot!!!

2 REPLIES 2

jfo
Rising Star

@nikkilmorgan wrote:

I need and want to take a couple of college courses on cameras & pics but until then how do I know what to choose? I don't want one that's too complicated but I want to make good quality pics that I can make into larger prints with a good resolution.... I want something like my friend has with possibly the newest technology as long as its as user friendly. Which camera do you suggest? 

Nikkil,

Your friend has a Canon camera that is classified as a 'DSLR'... that's basically the category as advanced as it gets, and "user friendly" wouldn't be a common phrase a beginner to photography would necessarily use for it.  Sure, there is an "auto" mode, but also many settings and features that could trip up someone that is used to a "point and shoot".  To understand a bit more about the categorical differences, here are a few resources (ignore the camera models they mention, those are a bit dated): 

http://digital-photography-school.com/should-you-buy-a-dslr-or-point-and-shoot-digital-camera

http://www.digitaltrends.com/photography/digital-camera-buying-tips-point-and-shoot-vs-dslr/

That being said, it sounds like you might be ready and needing a DSLR.  I think you meant that your friend had a Rebel T2i?  If so, that's a model a few generations older than Canon's current 'T4i', but there hasn't been significant technology improvements to warrant spending so much more for that latest when you already have tried and like the T2i.  Prices this week on the T2i and T3i are really low (via Canon's refurbished storefront).

There are also more advanced Powershot models than the one you did not like.  Any of the models that are not SX### should be faster and have improvements in resolution and performance compared to your current SX120.  

http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras

BrickR
Enthusiast

I gotta agree that I can't see any reason for you to get a T4i.

The T2i is at a really good price right now, even better if you can find it refurbished. A T3i will give you essentially the same camera with a swivel screen which comes in handy when you need it, and if you don't need it, you don't have to use it.

I don't think I've ever taken camera advice from anyone at Best Buy LOL.

Announcements