cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

quick question ... shooting group portrait

krisz
Contributor

Hello all,

super newbie here, just finally learning my settings other than auto :D, so please be gentle...

I am taking some pictures of my friends family tomorrow, outdoors,mid day, super sunny-i'm in Vegas :), was wondering what are the best setings would be,,i have a Canon rebel Xs, kit lens..thank you!

15 REPLIES 15

Composition is the hardest thing to learn and see in photography.  Probably the number one difference between average and good photographers.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I am not a fan of the close background being at an angle to the camera.  It draws the eye away from the subjects.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I don't think so.

If I were to change anything, in the bottom picture which is my pick, I would have stepped back a few feet.  This would have included the family's feet in the photo and more of the light and garage door.  A photo needs to tell a story to be really great.  Not only who was there but where were we.  Either of these or both are going to be nice mementos of the day.  The faces especially in the bottom picture are really nice.  That is the main most important thing.

All and all a nice job.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks guys..i am not happy at all, but as this is my first attemp, i always can improve..i agree on cutting off the feet looks terrible...ughh

If they were paying clients i would do a redo, and probably cry..but as of now, i have about 150 shots to go through, hoping to be able to edit them just enough so they like it...:(

Thanks again

@krisz wrote:

Thanks guys..i am not happy at all, but as this is my first attemp, i always can improve..i agree on cutting off the feet looks terrible...ughh

If they were paying clients i would do a redo, and probably cry..but as of now, i have about 150 shots to go through, hoping to be able to edit them just enough so they like it...:(

Thanks again

You can always crop shots like the second one so that they resemble the first one.   Be mindful of maintaining the original aspect ratio, 3:2, not unless it is your intent to change it.

Not trying to frame a shot too closely is one of the first lessons I learned.  You can always crop an image, but you cannot “uncrop” an image.  You can also use DPP to specify an overall output image size.  I like to use 6000 x 4000 at 75 DPI.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Not really enough infor here. 

Depending upon the size of the group, you probably do not need to use an aperture narrower than f/5.6.  Depending upon the amount of background and foreground lighting, you may need exposure compensation, to expose the group properly.

I would definitely be inclined to use a tripod.  You should have sufficient time to pose everyone.  Remember, your lens does not have a flat focal plane.  It is more curved, than flat, with the image sensor in the center of a the circular focal plane.  Understand your available depth of field.

As suggested, leave some room around the edges.  You want to have some “margin” to make adjustments llike leveling the horizon.  Depending upon the lens and focal length, people can become distorted near the edges.

I would not put a priority on keep ISO at 100.  I would put a priority on using a fast shutter, at least 1/400.

Announcements