cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buying on ebay

paulbrogden10
Enthusiast

in the past 3 months I have tried to buy a camera lens like 4 times and it is really pissing me off. The first time I made an offer he wanted to avoid paypal and ebay fees and wanted the payment as a friend I refused as I would have no buyer protection.

He wanted more money so he refunded me I send another payment  for £1400 then tried £1440 but again he was wanting more money for a sigma 500mm prime. I tried again on ebay to get the canon 100-400 mk2 ebay quickly cancelled the auction he had about 300 feedback and I was refunded  after having to wait 7 days. I tried again and again ebay cancelled the auction listing. I tried this again yesterday I paid £1200 and again ebay has said I dont need to pay as they have cancelled the auction but I have all ready paid. The seller was sending it from Holland but after looking at the seller can see a ton of negatives and see their based in hongkong. This time I thought with 8000 feedback I should be safe no doubt after waiting another 7 days ebay will refund me what the hell is going on with ebay.

I am sick and tired of trying to buy a good lens on ebay to keep having the auction cancelled over and over again why ant they any genuine sellers on ebay when it comes to camera lens's.

Let me know your thoughts guys thanks for reading.

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Ebay?  I would never risk it on something costly, most especially if it were something used.  No way. 

Canon has an online outlet store that sells refurbished equipment.  Not everything listed is always available.  The best L lenses sell out in short order.  The gear that I have purchased is indistinguishable from new gear, and my camera and lenses all come with a one year warranty.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

what do you think about what is called grey imports? What I have been trying to buy are brand new but could come from the us or asian markets us brits in the uk get ripped off when it comes to electricals.

"what do you think about what is called grey imports? What I have been trying to buy are brand new but could come from the us or asian markets us brits in the uk get ripped off when it comes to electricals."

Paul,

Living in England probably does you no good the buy Canon USA.  That is the difference in what we get and the rest of the world gets. You have Canon-Europe and I suppose it operates like Canon USA.  Canon USA does not warranty anything that they do not import.  You need to check on Canon-Europe.

Grey market may have slight differences like no manual in English but the product is the same.

I have bouhgt a couple of items from ebay and off Craiglist.  All were satisfactory.  I have never sold on either.  For instance I just bought 500 sheets of unopened 13x19 Canon Photo Pro Luster paper for a cool hundred bucks.  It is typically $35 a box.

B&H, Adorama and Roberts sell on ebay.  KEH (used) does as well so there are good sellers on it.  All 100% reputable sellers.

Hong Kong?  Are you crazy?  What did you expect.

If you want a used lens check out KEH.  They have a great return policy.  Also, B&H, Adorama, and Roberts all have used departments.  My local camera shop has used gear.  None are in Hong Kong!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

in the past 3 months I have tried to buy a camera lens like 4 times and it is really pissing me off. The first time I made an offer he wanted to avoid paypal and ebay fees and wanted the payment as a friend I refused as I would have no buyer protection.

He wanted more money so he refunded me I send another payment  for £1400 then tried £1440 but again he was wanting more money for a sigma 500mm prime. I tried again on ebay to get the canon 100-400 mk2 ebay quickly cancelled the auction he had about 300 feedback and I was refunded  after having to wait 7 days. I tried again and again ebay cancelled the auction listing. I tried this again yesterday I paid £1200 and again ebay has said I dont need to pay as they have cancelled the auction but I have all ready paid. The seller was sending it from Holland but after looking at the seller can see a ton of negatives and see their based in hongkong. This time I thought with 8000 feedback I should be safe no doubt after waiting another 7 days ebay will refund me what the hell is going on with ebay.

I am sick and tired of trying to buy a good lens on ebay to keep having the auction cancelled over and over again why ant they any genuine sellers on ebay when it comes to camera lens's.

Let me know your thoughts guys thanks for reading.

It sounds to me as though E-Bay is doing what they can to keep you from throwing your money at disreputable sellers. Maybe it's a good thing somebody is. Doesn't it worry you that you didn't discover the truth about the seller in "Holland" until after you had sent him £1200?

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

what is happening is ebay will cancel the auction and after I open a case I will end up  getting a refund but this is happening over and over again but you would have thought a seller with 8000 feedback a powerseller would be a safe bet.

@paulbrogden10 wrote:

what is happening is ebay will cancel the auction and after I open a case I will end up  getting a refund but this is happening over and over again but you would have thought a seller with 8000 feedback a powerseller would be a safe bet.

Like I said, forget about that item on Ebay.  Pray that you get you your money back, and stop putting it at such risk.  The first time should have taught you something.  Now, here you are ready to cough up your cash again, just as soon as you get it back in your hands, assuming that you do.

One definition of insanity is repeatedly doing the same thing, over and over, and expecting a different result.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Craigslist is pretty good because there is no middle man to take profits twice on the lens.  You get to see the merchandise and get a feel for the seller too.  Only thing is that if your area isn't a big densely populated one like NYC or Houston or Chicago or something, with a lot of camera selling activity, you can wait a loooong time for the particular lens or body you want to come up for sale.  You can place a Want To Buy posting and see if that works. 

Be be sure to haggle. You should not pay more than 70 - 75% of the lowest normal new retail selling price, even for a great quality lens.  I wouldn't buy a less than great quality lens at all, actually. Several sites track the lowest sale prices of Canon lenses.  Walk away if someone thinks they can get full new price for a lens. Wait for the next one.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

Craigslist is pretty good because there is no middle man to take profits twice on the lens.  You get to see the merchandise and get a feel for the seller too.  Only thing is that if your area isn't a big densely populated one like NYC or Houston or Chicago or something, with a lot of camera selling activity, you can wait a loooong time for the particular lens or body you want to come up for sale.  You can place a Want To Buy posting and see if that works. 

Be be sure to haggle. You should not pay more than 70 - 75% of the lowest normal new retail selling price, even for a great quality lens.  I wouldn't buy a less than great quality lens at all, actually. Several sites track the lowest sale prices of Canon lenses.  Walk away if someone thinks they can get full new price for a lens. Wait for the next one.

Craigslist is only OK if you are meeting in person and can inspect the gear, otherwise it is more hazardous than eBay. 

rickyphotopr
Contributor

I Buy a rebel xt on ebay for the price $49.99 for me is a good price but i got a problem It turns on , and take photos, sometimes its not working properly , but usually it is,this is why you will buy it for a parts or repair with a low price . Take a look on the original actual photos

Announcements