cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Which camera was the most expensive?

Tronhard
Elite
Elite

I went to my local park to shoot (photographically speaking) some herons.  I took to following shots under very similar conditions - same weather, similar distance(about 100m) etc.  One was taken with the Canon SX60HS bridge camera, and the other was taken with the Canon EOS 7DMkII + 100-400 MkII EF-L + 1.4 Mk III extender.  Both shots were hand held.

In Canada, where I am, the SX60HS was selling for around $560 and the Canon EOS 7D set cost around $5,600, so roughly 10 times the price.

WITHOUT PIXEP PEEPING  or looking up the properties, which do you think was taken by the more expensive camera? 

Vote:

A   The first imge

B   The second image

C   Too close to call

Both images have been cropped slightly in Lightroom so you have a closer comparison.

I shall post the answer on Friday. Smiley Very Happy

Picture A.jpg

Picture B.jpgThe point to me is one of value for money.  DEPENDING UPON THE OUTPUT, I cannot see 10x the quality difference between these two images.

With more alternatives to producing output, photographers are taking photos for the Web (social media etc.), to show on screens and monitors and of course for the traditional print. These images  would probably print on something up to 8x10 without any real difference.  One would expect the better quality gear would handle big blow-ups better, but for the average shooter considering an investment it's an interesting comparison, especially when i see aspiring wildlife photographers scared off by the cost of equipment.  I think for many newbies, the bridge camera is a great way to explore, experiment and decide if photography is something they would aspire to pursue without taking out a mortgage.  They are small and lightweight (the best camera is the one you carry), the have all the main controls of their bigger DSLR cousins and they have an enormous zoom range, so a newbie can dabble in all sorts of photographic styles.

My other point is that given enough light, the smaller sensor can do a good job on these shots, obviously there are issues when the light becomes less than optimal.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
26 REPLIES 26

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

The file names, which show up when you mouse over the photos, give it away.

@TTMartin wrote:

The file names, which show up when you mouse over the photos, give it away.

Thanks so much for the advice - having the file name pop up did not occur for me.  I have now altered the file names to support the intent! Smiley Very Happy

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

There's a park downtown where some scary people can be seen openly shooting heron, but I'd not be taking an expensive armload of camera gear around there.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

There's a park downtown where some scary people can be seen openly shooting heron, but I'd not be taking an expensive armload of camera gear around there.  

Ah. well I am in Victoria BC and the greatest threat is being run over by a septogenarian with a mobility scooter! Smiley LOL

Actually we do get deer and they bring the odd cougar into the vicinity, but nothing to worry about.

cheers, TREVOR

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

For birding my wife normally carries a 7D and an SX50HS. She is very familiar with the limitations of both. Her shots are typically 50/50 between the two cameras.

However, when we decided to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail where every ounce matters the choice was take the SX50HS or get a Canon SL1. She decided buying the SL1 was the better choice. So we will be carrying a SL1, 18-55 IS STM and a 55-250 IS STM.

@TTMartin wrote:

For birding my wife normally carries a 7D and an SX50HS. She is very familiar with the limitations of both. Her shots are typically 50/50 between the two cameras.

However, when we decided to thru-hike the Appalachian Trail where every ounce matters the choice was take the SX50HS or get a Canon SL1. She decided buying the SL1 was the better choice. So we will be carrying a SL1, 18-55 IS STM and a 55-250 IS STM.

Hmm... interesting.  I would have throught that the SL1 with lenses would be considerably heavier than the power Sx.  What about the EOS M5?  That is much more like the 80D, but with the advantages of the mirrorless technology.

cheers, TREVOR

@Tronhard wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

Hmm... interesting.  I would have throught that the SL1 with lenses would be considerably heavier than the power Sx.  What about the EOS M5?  That is much more like the 80D, but with the advantages of the mirrorless technology.

Not enough battery.  It's great with manual focus lenses, though.  I use a Rokinon 14mm T3.1, set at hyperfocal length.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Tronhard wrote:

@TTMartin wrote:

The EOS M5 wouldn't save any weight. I wanted a dSLR's Phase Detect AF system. The longest EF-M lens is 200mm. The SL1 refurbished with 18-55 IS STM lens was under $375 including taxes and shipping. The EOS M5 would have cost 3 times as much, 4 times as much when you take into account I already owned the EF-S 55-250 STM which came with my 7D Mk II.

Canon SL1 w/battery- 14.36 oz.

EF-S 18-55 IS STM - 7.2 oz.

EF-S 55-250 IS STM - 13.2 oz. 

Canon SX50HS - 21.0 oz

Basically the 13 oz weight difference between the SX50 HS and the SL1 kit is the EF-S 55-250 IS STM lens.
The SL1's sensor is over 11 times bigger than the SX50 or SX60, meaning a lot better low light performance.

And since you asked about the EOS M5

Canon EOS M5 - 15 oz

EF-M 18-55 IS STM - 7.4 oz.

EF-M 55-200 IS STM - 9.2 oz. 

You have obviously researched this extensively and I have not. The main thing is I am glad you have what works for you!

Smiley Very Happy

cheers, TREVOR

Announcements