cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Washed my CF Card

Mitsubishiman
Rising Star

Hello Folks, I managed to forget to empty all of the pockets in my Duluth Trading pants, in the front lower pocket I typically have a couple of flash drives, a Canon remote and this time after downloading my SanDisk 64Gb Extreme Pro 169mbs UDMA 7 CF Card I put it in the same pocket and was going to put it back in the camera next chance I got.

Instead I changed pants however forgot to empty that pocket, so every thing went through the washer and dryer.

Now my SanDisk 256 Gb Flash Drive still works fine (So far) I have pulled the same stunt with other SanDisk’s before, they are resilient (apperantly lol)

The real question is, I am hesitant to even try the CF Card because I understand how the Thumb Drives work and they are not capable of harming a PC, they either survive or they do not work after that particular stunt and back feed through the circut is not likely, however a CF card has a much different type of connetion ports.

And before anyone asks why I even remove the card instead of utilizing a cable for download - I have a USB 3.0 card Reader and a USB 3.0 port on my PC, 10 times faster transfer than USB 2.0

I ordered a new CF Card anyway because I am paranoid, do I just through the one in question away?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I just ordered the 128Gb version, all I can think about is that one picture of a lifetime and you think you got it and then the card doesn't work, that is the truth, pitching it

I have one of the first Pixelflash 3.0 USB card readers, no regrets whatsoever.

https://pixelflashtech.com/

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

Yup.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Mitsubishiman wrote:

Hello Folks, I managed to forget to empty all of the pockets in my Duluth Trading pants, in the front lower pocket I typically have a couple of flash drives, a Canon remote and this time after downloading my SanDisk 64Gb Extreme Pro 169mbs UDMA 7 CF Card I put it in the same pocket and was going to put it back in the camera next chance I got.

Instead I changed pants however forgot to empty that pocket, so every thing went through the washer and dryer.

Now my SanDisk 256 Gb Flash Drive still works fine (So far) I have pulled the same stunt with other SanDisk’s before, they are resilient (apperantly lol)

The real question is, I am hesitant to even try the CF Card because I understand how the Thumb Drives work and they are not capable of harming a PC, they either survive or they do not work after that particular stunt and back feed through the circut is not likely, however a CF card has a much different type of connetion ports.

And before anyone asks why I even remove the card instead of utilizing a cable for download - I have a USB 3.0 card Reader and a USB 3.0 port on my PC, 10 times faster transfer than USB 2.0

I ordered a new CF Card anyway because I am paranoid, do I just through the one in question away?

No, you store it in a warm, dry place for a couple of months and then try it in your card reader. Either it works or it doesn't. If you're really paranoid, and if your USB 3.0 reader was too expensive to place at the slightest risk (I didn't even know they made them), then you may want to try it on a cheap card reader first. But once it has been thoroughly dried out, it's unlikely to damage a device to which it's attached.

It's worth remembering, however, that's there's nothing in your equipment inventory that's more mission critical than the card that holds your shots. Before you decide to use the card again in real life, you should test it thoroughly. If you're in any doubt, pitch it.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I just ordered the 128Gb version, all I can think about is that one picture of a lifetime and you think you got it and then the card doesn't work, that is the truth, pitching it

https://pixelflashtech.com/

@Mitsubishiman wrote:

Carry spare cards and stuff in your bag, not in your pockets.  Somebody could spill a beverage on you, too.

I have known divers who had a camera flood with salt water & the cards were still usable. Once it's had time to dry out run some tests using your card reader to fill it & then to download from it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

@cicopo wrote:

I have known divers who had a camera flood with salt water & the cards were still usable. Once it's had time to dry out run some tests using your card reader to fill it & then to download from it.

It isn't a question of whether or not the card will work.  It is a question of whether or not you can trust it when your livelihood depends on it.

Can't argue that, but if I made my living with my camera it would use 2 cards. I don't make much money from photography though but all my DSLR's have dual card slots & I use both of them. The cost of testing by writing to & then reading from a card a few times is just a bit of time but time has a different value to some of us..

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."
Announcements