cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Want Camera Body under $1000

TahoeNV
Apprentice

I want to shoot video of my neighborhood while I drive the area.  Also video sitting at my desk.  Also shoot interior and exterior stills of houses.  Best lense choices would also be helpful.  Thanks.

18 REPLIES 18

"Still recommending the Rebel T6i with either kit lens or lenses. It will do basically what the OP said he needed.  It meets or beats the $1000 limit."

I would recommend the T6s over the T6i, any day of the week.  The extra cost is more than worth it, for the added features.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

As an owner of a T6s, I agree.

However, the T6 seems to have something that no other Canon does, and has annoyed me about Canon for a long time. According to Ken Rockwell T6 has:

"White Priority auto white balance mode to get rid of orange color casts when shooting indoors without flash"

Please, Canon, add this to the other T6's with a firmware update!

@kvbarkley wrote:

As an owner of a T6s, I agree.

However, the T6 seems to have something that no other Canon does, and has annoyed me about Canon for a long time. According to Ken Rockwell T6 has:

"White Priority auto white balance mode to get rid of orange color casts when shooting indoors without flash"

Please, Canon, add this to the other T6's with a firmware update!

But, I would also advise the refurbished 70D over the T6s, though.  The AFMA is a powerful feature, especially the implementation on more recent camera models.  The original adjustments were single ended, made at just one point, which worked out fine for prime lenses, but was pretty useless for zooms.

A single point adjustment on a zoom does more harm than good.  Recent camera models allow one point for primes, and two points for zooms, one setting for the wide end, and another for the telephoto end.  Sigma Dock allows for 16 settings on a zoom.

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If you want the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens and a Rebel or xxD, they must be purchased separately.  Unless there has been a change made by Canon recently. To be honest I don't follow the Rebel or xxD market very closely.  So perhaps Canon does offer it but I doubt it.

Regardless, a xxD and the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM lens will exceed the $1000 limit so it might be moot.

To me MFA is useless.  With the gear I have and use now I don't apply it on anything. Possibly the 1 series and the "L" lenses I have are more closely adjusted at the factory but none of my gear requires it.  So like IS, it is a nice to have but not a 'must' have. My Sigma S has the dock.  My bag is down to 2 bodies and three lenses with the 8-15 and Siggy S added if the situation warrants them.  Because of there opposite design characteristics, I don't usually require both at the same shoot!

Still recommending the Rebel T6i with either kit lens or lenses. It will do basically what the OP said he needed.  It meets or beats the $1000 limit.

AFMA is far from useless, a lesson I learned the hard way. The day after I received my 17-55 and my first 7D, I had to shoot an awards ceremony at one of the local universities. Since the new camera/lens combination represented a significant improvement over my previous equipment, I was eager to get it into production use. I didn't have time to test it, though, so I decided to wing it. When I got back to my office and looked at the pictures, I discovered that they were too OOF to use. Fortunately, I had been using a second camera, as I almost always do at events in order to extend my zoom range, so I managed to avoid looking like a total fool. When I did run tests and calibrated the camera, I found that it required +9 points of AFMA. The lens has given me years of good service since, but it would have been useless on a Rebel.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"AFMA is far from useless, a lesson I learned the hard way."

As much as I like AFMA, I'm going to have to side with Ernie.  I'm pretty sure his listed gear, 1D Mark IV and 1Ds Mark III, only allow for one AFMA point with zoom lenses, whiich I think is pretty useless.  Zoom lenses need at least a two point AFMA.

@Waddizzle wrote:

As much as I like AFMA, I'm going to have to side with Ernie.  I'm pretty sure his listed gear, 1D Mark IV and 1Ds Mark III, only allow for one AFMA point with zoom lenses, whiich I think is pretty useless.  Zoom lenses need at least a two point AFMA.

IIRC, they tell you to adjust at the lens's long end, because that's where DoF is the smallest.

In any case, AFMA is most likely to be provided on cameras that need it least. I've yet to encounter an "L" lens that required adjustment.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

B from B,

"I've yet to encounter an "L" lens that required adjustment."

I have not either as I already stated.  It isn't something I would miss.  Just like IS.  I like it but I don't 'need' it.

Lenses that are most likely to require MFA are the lesser ones from Canon and third party. My third party lens inventory has shrunk to where I have only the ones I consider worthy or the best they have to offer.  The list is not long, I might add.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

IIRC, they tell you to adjust at the lens's long end, because that's where DoF is the smallest.

In any case, AFMA is most likely to be provided on cameras that need it least. I've yet to encounter an "L" lens that required adjustment.

The one point adjustment for zooms doesn't work out in some cases.  The only "L" lenses, 70-200 and 100-400, that I have bought that need AFMA came from the Big Blue Box store. 

My two refurbs, 24-105 and 16-35, both seem to be dead on, but my 6D may not be.  I say that because every lens [depending upon focal length] seems to want to be adjusted by close to the same amount.  Meaning if I set test those two lenses at 24mm or 35mm, they both  want the same amount of adjustment.

amatula
Enthusiast

Hi,

I am a newer DSLR photographer.  The photo store I purchased from let me demo just outside the store which was great. I might suggest you try something like that too. Stores also offer overnight demos too (demo for a day for a low cost). I really suggest that. No matter what anyone else thinks, we all have our personal preferences.

For instance, I am petite and the Canon Rebel SL1 works great in my hands. But I am sure not many would recommend it (unless ther person also was petite). The common complaint I have read is: it is too small for my hands.

So, I hope with the feedback you receive you use that to perhaps come up with a list of cameras/lens to demo and go that route. It will save you money.

And also try something somone has not mentioned.

Reviews and opinions are helpful to a degree but the best opinion/review should come from you.

Annie

Announcements