Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,042
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: WHAT CAMERA SHOULD I GET?!

[ Edited ]

Tronhard,

I have a T5, and love to use it.  I love it so much that I started a "Love my Rebel" thread in the "Share Your Photos" forum.

 

[EDIT]. Great shots, BYW.  But, all of them are stills, not action shots.  All of them were shot with relatively small lenses, compared to the lenses popular with sports photography.  

I'm not saying a Rebel is not capable of action shots, but the OP is an experienced photographer.  Given the choice between a n entry level camera or an enthusiast grade camera, I think the latter is the most sensible choice.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,512
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: WHAT CAMERA SHOULD I GET?!


Waddizzle wrote:

Tronhard,

 

I think recommending a Rebel to an experienced photographer is bad advice.  The camera body will be outgrown within a few months, or a few thousand shots, whichever comes first.

I think a T7i is not good advice compared to recommending a 77D, which is well within the stated budget, as is an 80D at the Canon Refurbished Store, where I have bought two of them with the 18-55mm STM lens for WELL under the budget.


When the 77D first came out, we were at a loss to understand its intended role in the product line. We discussed it for a while; and as I recall, we finally agreed that for all practical purposes the 77D is a Rebel. What has changed?

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Respected Contributor
Posts: 1,769
Registered: ‎02-26-2015

Re: WHAT CAMERA SHOULD I GET?!


RobertTheFat wrote:

Waddizzle wrote:

Tronhard,

 

I think recommending a Rebel to an experienced photographer is bad advice.  The camera body will be outgrown within a few months, or a few thousand shots, whichever comes first.

I think a T7i is not good advice compared to recommending a 77D, which is well within the stated budget, as is an 80D at the Canon Refurbished Store, where I have bought two of them with the 18-55mm STM lens for WELL under the budget.


When the 77D first came out, we were at a loss to understand its intended role in the product line. We discussed it for a while; and as I recall, we finally agreed that for all practical purposes the 77D is a Rebel. What has changed?


Nothing changed the 77D is the Rebel T7s renumbered.

The only thing I see lacking on the T7i is micro focus adjustment, and gong to the 77D doesn't give that to you.

So either stick with the T7i or make the jump to the 80D. 

Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,042
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: WHAT CAMERA SHOULD I GET?!


TTMartin wrote:

RobertTheFat wrote:

Waddizzle wrote:

Tronhard,

 

I think recommending a Rebel to an experienced photographer is bad advice.  The camera body will be outgrown within a few months, or a few thousand shots, whichever comes first.

I think a T7i is not good advice compared to recommending a 77D, which is well within the stated budget, as is an 80D at the Canon Refurbished Store, where I have bought two of them with the 18-55mm STM lens for WELL under the budget.


When the 77D first came out, we were at a loss to understand its intended role in the product line. We discussed it for a while; and as I recall, we finally agreed that for all practical purposes the 77D is a Rebel. What has changed?


Nothing changed the 77D is the Rebel T7s renumbered.

The only thing I see lacking on the T7i is micro focus adjustment, and gong to the 77D doesn't give that to you.

So either stick with the T7i or make the jump to the 80D. 


No AFMA in a 77D?  It does add the top panel LCD, though.  I would have assumed the T7i included AFMA.  So, in other words, he 77D is more Rebel [T7s] than a true ##D series body.  Why would Canon do that?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 112
Registered: ‎10-18-2016

Re: WHAT CAMERA SHOULD I GET?!

[ Edited ]

Waddizzle wrote:

Tronhard,

 

I think recommending a Rebel to an experienced photographer is bad advice.  The camera body will be outgrown within a few months, or a few thousand shots, whichever comes first.

I think a T7i is not good advice compared to recommending a 77D, which is well within the stated budget, as is an 80D at the Canon Refurbished Store, where I have bought two of them with the 18-55mm STM lens for WELL under the budget.


hHi Waddizzle

Thanks for your response.

So I need to clarify one thing.  Is the question about getting the body only, or a body and lenses?

The problem is the budget....  If all what is requried is just a new body then I willl be rigtht with you, in fact I would be keen to get the 80D if I could find a decent second-hand one because of the better tracking, it works well with the extender and long telephoto and you can put a battery grip on it to add capacity and balance a big lens.  But if  he wants lenses then I would normally put more emphasis on the glass.
"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy
Honored Contributor
Posts: 5,042
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: WHAT CAMERA SHOULD I GET?!


Tronhard wrote:

Waddizzle wrote:

 


hHi Waddizzle

Thanks for your response.

So I need to clarify one thing.  Is the question about getting the body only, or a body and lenses?

The problem is the budget....  If all what is requried is just a new body then I willl be rigtht with you, in fact I would be keen to get the 80D if I could find a decent second-hand one because of the better tracking, it works well with the extender and long telephoto and you can put a battery grip on it to add capacity and balance a big lens.  But if  he wants lenses then I would normally put more emphasis on the glass.

I have bought two of these.  They are a fantastic value.  

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/eos-80d-ef-s-18-55mm-f-3-5-5-6-is-stm-kit-refurbished

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
New Contributor
Posts: 4
Registered: ‎07-18-2017

Re: WHAT CAMERA SHOULD I GET?!

[ Edited ]

GUYS! I got the T7i with the 18-135 lens! 

I see what you guys are talking about and, as I said in my last post, I do not do sports photography. I may have lead some people on with that since that's what I mentioned in the original post but sports is not what I do. I only did sports that day for fun and it made me realize a major weak spot in that olypmus camera. That, compiled with the bad taste of how expensive lenses are for it, made me want to switch from it. I picked up the T7i on Friday and did some sunset shots with it and then today did a couple car shots. So nothing to put this camera through its paces or test its limitations. But I am very happy with it.

This will start the beginning of photography as a side job for me. I am looking to use this camera for portraits more than anything else. Attached are two of the first images I have taken with the camera.Cookie-4.JPGSunset-1.JPG

Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 3,512
Registered: ‎06-25-2014

Re: WHAT CAMERA SHOULD I GET?!

Nice. I'm always up for a good sunset shot.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Honored Contributor
Posts: 7,926
Registered: ‎12-07-2012

Re: WHAT CAMERA SHOULD I GET?!

That sunset is gorgeous.

 The Rebel T7i is a very capable camera no matter what some of the nay sayers tell you.  Don't believe them, it will do sports if you so desire.

 

I know you will enjoy it for a long time to come.  Smiley Happy

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
New Contributor
Posts: 3
Registered: ‎08-27-2017

Re: WHAT CAMERA SHOULD I GET?!

If you want to experiment with your Olympus on sports, I've noticed as well as read that a mirrorless camera will focus using the chosen aperture and not the widest aperture that  the lens is capable of. If you use the widest apperture that the lens is capable of your autofocus will work at its max because of more light being let into the camera. When using an OVF (Optical View Finder in a DSLR like the T7i) you are always using the lens at it's max apperture for the focal length chosen. See if that helps. For example I have a 18-150mm lens the max apperture at 18mm is f3.5 and at 150mm it is f6.3 so using the lens at 18mm and f3.5 you will get better autofocus then at 150mm and f6.3 because of the great differnce in light transmission. Using the lens at 18mm is not at all ideal for sports but is just to emphasize what I'm saying. If you have this lens set to 18mm and F5.0 then a mirrorless camera will use f5.0 to try to focus but a DSLR (T7i) using the OVF will use f3.5 to focus even though your actual apperture is set to f5.0. Using the DSLR in "live view" with the above scenario it will use f50 apperture to gain focus just like the mirrorless because you are using the DSLR in a mirrorless setting.

powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement