cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

WHAT CAMERA SHOULD I GET?!

toweltrick
Apprentice

Ahhh, back to beating that dead horse with such a question. But I'm so unsure on what DSLR to get! I just need some secondary opinions because maybe someone else will point something out that I'm overlooking. 

Currently I have a Olympus OM-D E-M10 mark II and a film camera, the Olympus OM2n. Recently I tried using my E-M10 to photograph a sports event (thankfully I was just doing it for fun and not professionally) and it failed MISERABLY! The camera's auto focus cannot find anything fast enough and when it does.... its the background and not the player you are trying to focus on. There is no manual override on the lenses I have so I couldn't intervene and fix this myself. I was looking at lenses to get that I could focus manually with but micro four thirds (or Olympus lens mount) lenses are so expensive I came to the decision to just get a different camera.

Right now I am pretty set on the Canon EOS Rebel T7i. Is there anything I'm overlooking? Any other camera someone would recommend near that price range? The T7i looks to be a pretty amazing camera.

Thanks for any help.

48 REPLIES 48

Nice. I'm always up for a good sunset shot.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

That sunset is gorgeous.

The Rebel T7i is a very capable camera no matter what some of the nay sayers tell you.  Don't believe them, it will do sports if you so desire.

I know you will enjoy it for a long time to come.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@toweltrick wrote:

GUYS! I got the T7i with the 18-135 lens! 

This will start the beginning of photography as a side job for me. I am looking to use this camera for portraits more than anything else. 

You should consider picking up the EF 50mm f/1.8 STM lens for a portrait lens. It will give you a shallower depth of field and a nice smooth bokeh. 

You want to avoid the EF 50mm f/1.8 II because it has inferior build quality, poor focus consistency, and 5 flat aperture blades that can lead to poor quality background blur (bokeh). 

toweltrick wrote:

GUYS! I got the T7i with the 18-135 lens! 

This will start the beginning of photography as a side job for me. I am looking to use this camera for portraits more than anything else. 

Good choice. The 18-135mm will be more than sufficient for Facebook and Instagram.  

@toweltrick wrote:

My requirement for quality is not very high. I am usually only posting on Facebook and Instagram. 

You don't require anything near professional-level gear. Go with the T7i, which is really way more camera than you need.  

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Don't get the 7d2 unless you are pretty serious about sports AND you would still have cash left over after buying it to get 2 good lenses.   When money isn't unlimited it is best to invest it in lenses."

I would have said that if Scott hadn't.  It is almost always better advice to invest in better lenses.  Plus more lenses extend what the already very capable Rebel T7i can do.

"Right now I am pretty set on the Canon EOS Rebel T7i"

Go for it man! Smiley Wink

EB

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Thanks for any help."

You bet.   The battery thing, is dribble.  Don't even think about it.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Thanks for any help."

You should actually use gear before making comments like this.  The battery specifications also say you are mistaken.

LP-E6 = 1865 mAH , used in EOS M3, M5, M6, T7i, 77D

LP-17 = 1040 man , used EOS 70D, 80D, 6D, 5D3, 5D4, 7D2

I am going to call that an 80% difference.  It is human nature to reject that which one does not understand.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Thanks for any help."

You should actually use gear before making comments like this.  The battery specifications also say you are mistaken.

I am going to call that an 80% difference.  It is human nature to reject that which one does not understand.

I think you've got those backwards. For a fact, my 5D3 and my wife's 7D2 use the LP-E6. Indeed I think they both came with the slightly more powerful LP-E6N.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Thanks for any help."

I think you've got those backwards. For a fact, my 5D3 and my wife's 7D2 use the LP-E6. Indeed I think they both came with the slightly more powerful LP-E6N.

The LP-E6 has been the standard battery for Canon XXD and XD cameras since I invested in them starting with the 60D back in 2011.  The LP-E6N is the more recent and powerful development, but from my experience can be used for any XXD or XD model using the LP-E6.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
Announcements