cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Video Quality

Nodean
Apprentice
Just a quick question and in no way am I hating on canon products. I have just been realizing a large spike in video quality with cheaper cameras recently such as the new go pro hero 6 which can do 4K at 60 frames and 1080 at 240. How come higher end dslr cameras can’t do this. To be able to record 1080 at 120 frames would cost you 5,000 dollars just for a body. Obviously the technology is there at a much cheaper price point. So what makes the dslr cameras so expensive for the limiting video options? Again not hating on canon or any other camera brands. I would not trade my canon camera for anything.
1 REPLY 1

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Nodean wrote:
Just a quick question and in no way am I hating on canon products. I have just been realizing a large spike in video quality with cheaper cameras recently such as the new go pro hero 6 which can do 4K at 60 frames and 1080 at 240. How come higher end dslr cameras can’t do this. To be able to record 1080 at 120 frames would cost you 5,000 dollars just for a body. Obviously the technology is there at a much cheaper price point. So what makes the dslr cameras so expensive for the limiting video options? Again not hating on canon or any other camera brands. I would not trade my canon camera for anything.

It has to do with the size of the image sensors.  A GoPro cannot shot 24MP stills.  It has the equivalent of an 8MP sensor in a DSLR, which is all of the resolution you really need to shoot 4K video.

The only reasons DSLRs can shoot video is because of the physical nuts and bolts are already there in place.  All it takes is a little more programming, and you can shoot video, which is basically a continuous shooting mode, but at a reduced resolution.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements