cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrading

and2morrow
Contributor

I'm looking to upgrade my t2i. I'm on a pretty tight budget tho and I'm really not looking to spend more than $4-500.

I've saw used/refurbished on Canons website and I was curious if you have any insight or advice on what would be good. I seem to do more portrait photography these days. I find myself looking at t6/ and I saw a used 50d body for a decent price. Are any of those going to be an upgrade to what I already have??

I guess I'm looking for a bit more sharpnesss in my photos. I currently shoot with an 18-135mm. Or would a lens upgraded be a better option?

Thanks in advance!!
22 REPLIES 22

and2morrow
Contributor
I definitely want to improve my photos. However I think being able to zoom with children is way easier than focusing on one position.

I'm wondering if I could get something out of a 24mm tho. Any thoughts on that?

@and2morrow wrote:
I definitely want to improve my photos. However I think being able to zoom with children is way easier than focusing on one position.

I'm wondering if I could get something out of a 24mm tho. Any thoughts on that?

Take a few "test portrait" shots wth your 50mm.  The STM version of the lens is really sharp. It has a metal connection to the camera body, while the older version has a black plastic mount.

I have used the EF-S 24mm f/2.8 STM on my T5, and it is a great wide angle lens for an APS-C camera body.  I think it could be a good add, but what would you use it for?  Wide angle lenses can tend to make things look further away than what they actually are.

I found the 24mm lens to work well indoors for two reasons.  One, it was pretty fast.  Two, it was wide enough to take in much of an average sized room.  For outdoor use, you may want to dust off that 50mm lens, after all.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

and2morrow
Contributor
I have tried shooting with it, I just don't feel as comfortable as I do with a zoom? Lol

I mostly photograph children, seniors and families.

I find it easier to photograph children with a zoom because when times get tough I let them do their own thing and I snap away!

@and2morrow wrote:
I have tried shooting with it, I just don't feel as comfortable as I do with a zoom? Lol

I mostly photograph children, seniors and families.

I find it easier to photograph children with a zoom because when times get tough I let them do their own thing and I snap away!

A 50mm lens on an APS-C body makes for a good portrait lens combo.  It is a little long for photographing backyard fun and games. 

The recommended EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 STM lens has a great zoom range for an APS-C body.  It has an angle of view that is almost similar to the popular 24-70mm zoom lenses on a full frame camera body.  

"I find it easier to photograph children with a zoom because when times get tough I let them do their own thing and I snap away!"

That is not shooting portraits.  That is general photography.  That is why you have issues with the 50mil.  Portrait photography is a head shot usually with a purpose set-up.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

and2morrow
Contributor
Canon EF 28-80mm II F/3.5-5.6

Thoughts on this?? Any?

and2morrow
Contributor
I rarely ever use flash anyways but I'm seeing this lens in the $3-400.00 range everywhere. Am I looking correctly?

@and2morrow wrote:
I rarely ever use flash anyways but I'm seeing this lens in the $3-400.00 range everywhere. Am I looking correctly?

Not at $300 to $400.  Not offered by Canon, or an authorized dealer.  You might be looking at the EF-S  17-85mm, instead of the EF-S 17-55mm.

There are similar 17-55mm lenses made for APS-C bodies that are made by third party manufacturers, not made by Canon. Sigma seems to be selling their version at clearance prices, 50% off the regular list in some places.

and2morrow
Contributor
Help me out, where should I look?

I buy Canon gear from two online sources, Canon and B&H.  There are other online Canon retailers, but none have the post sale service like B&H, and none have the best pricing as the Canon Online Refurbished Store.

Stay away from Amazon and eBay when it comes to big ticket purchases.

National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements