cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade what equipment first?

jmr6
Contributor

Currently I have a 2 year old Canon Rebel SL1/100D. I have the kit lenses that came with the camera and a Tamaron 150-600 telephoto. I am almost primarily a Landscape/Wildlife enthusiast but starting to get into street scenes. 

My question is this, should I upgrade from the two kit lenses first OR look into a 7D Mark 2 or an 80D and upgrade the camera first?

13 REPLIES 13

Two things.

First send the Sigma in.  They have upgraded their CS a whole lot.  Not to Canon level or standard but certainly better than it once was.

Second, the dock allows firmware updates by the lens owner in addition to focus speed and others.  I don't believe that was mentioned.

IMHO, I think you got a bad copy.  My four current big Sigma zooms do no display what yours seems to.  You can get a bad copy of anybodies lens. Not just Sigma's!  I have owned about a dozen of the big Siggies.

I do know it is possible to get bad copies because I went through three Sigma 150-500mm f/5-6.3 APO DG OS HSM Lens before I got the one I currently have.  It is very good and I have no AFMA correction done on either camera I use it on.

SIGMA CORPORATION OF AMERICA

Attn: Service Department
15 Fleetwood Court
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:
Good thing the Sigma has the Sigma Dock, so that I could tune the lens with AFMA.  I've been testing and tweaking if for over a year now.  That was shot with a 6D 1/2000, f/8, ISO 5000, ..., I think.  I'm not using the right PC to check the exposure.  

Why do you need the Sigma Dock? Doesn't the 6D have in-camera AFMA?

Canon camera bodies do not recognize third party lenses, just as DPP doesn't recognize them, either.  ....

'Taint so. I've used AFMA on several 3rd-party lenses. The camera doesn't identify them by brand name, but it does recognize them.

That's an apples vs oranges comparison anyway. What DPP doesn't recognize are 3rd-party lens distortion corrections, which have nothing to do with AFMA.

The rest of your explanation of the Sigma Dock (the part I didn't quote) does, of course, answer my question.

Misidentifying the lens is the same as not identifying the lens in my book, IMHO. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@jmr6 wrote:

Currently I have a 2 year old Canon Rebel SL1/100D. I have the kit lenses that came with the camera and a Tamaron 150-600 telephoto. I am almost primarily a Landscape/Wildlife enthusiast but starting to get into street scenes. 

My question is this, should I upgrade from the two kit lenses first OR look into a 7D Mark 2 or an 80D and upgrade the camera first?

The SL1 kit from Canon came with the EF-S 18-55 IS STM lens. There is little that upgrading that lens will do except add weight. It already has very good image quality.

If you are looking to upgrade, you have to ask the question where is my current gear letting me down. You should upgrade if your current gear has shortcomings that you are aware of. Not, just upgrade to upgrade. 

Your current camera is great when using the EF-S kit lens. I imagine it is a little small and harder to hold when attached to the Tamron 15-600. So if that is the case then a 7D Mk II will give you something more substantial to hold onto.

But, I would still keep the SL1/100D for its light weight and easy to carry.

You might want to look into the EF-S 10-18 IS STM lens for your landscape work as you might appreciate the wider angle. And its still small and light like your SL1.

But, again where is your current gear holding you back, answer that and then you'll know where to spend your money. If your current gear isn't holding you back, upgrade you savings account and keep your money..

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

jmr6,

100mm to 400mm in real world the Canon may be as good or slightly better IQ wise. From 500mm to 600mm, muddies the water a bit for the Canon. It now requires a 1.4x TC.  This is still native territory for the Sigma or Tamron.  I am not big fan of using a TC especially when the open aperture is pushed to f8. Some cameras will still AF at f8 but it is always a compromised solution.

The real place the 100-400mm beats the Sigma/Tamron pair is in shooting MTF charts.  If that is what you want to do and you don't want 500mm to 600mm buy the Canon.  Otherwise if you want to use the lens in actual real world photography go for the Sigam/Tamron.

In your case I would buy, your choice an 80D or 7D Mk II.  Keep the Sigma 150-600mm and start saving for the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens as you next purchase.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements