cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade from Rebel T1i

RachelT
Apprentice

I am wanting to upgrade from my T1i.  I am in need of opinions of what camera and lenses would be best for action (Cheer, football, basketball) which is most pressing at this time.  I also like to take pictures of my family and nature.  

I have read the Mark 5 IV is awesome, but I am not a professiona and know enough about photography yet to justify the price point on this camera.  At almost $4, 000 PLUS the cost of lenses etc, I just cant do it 

So my question is this, what would you suggest that is better than my T1i for the above mentioned needs.  Also, if you have any suggestions for learning more aobut photography, preferably online.  

Thank you in advance.

9 REPLIES 9

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What is your budget?  I think the best buy in the Canon DSLR lineup is the EOS 80D.  The 80D can be purchased as a body only, or with a couple of different lens choices.  I prefer the 18-135mm combo, but you would likely need an external flash because of the size of the lens, which is why I would recommend the 80D camera kit with the 18-55mm lens

Rebel camera bodies take some pretty good pictures in good light conditions, but they lack some desireable functionality.  The Rebel T6s is the best of the lineup, and is the only one that includes an electronic level, which is great for shooting from a tripod.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Ideally, I would like to keep it under $2,000.  I would also like to be able to use the lenses I already have and use with my T1i.  But as I am learning it's not possible to simple use any Canon lens with any Canon camera.  I am able to take portrait pictures of the famly I am very happy with.  But those football action pictures in night time setting is a major issue...I am learning of course...but I have tried recommened changes with different settings and I cant ever seem to get a good shot of the players that has great lighting, no blur etc.  I am sure part of the issue is simply my lack of experience, but I also feel it is the camera.  I also have issues with night shots in general.  

If you are happy with your T1i than you will love the T6i.  Canon has a rebate deal on right now where you can get the T6i with the ef-s 18-135mm lens and a Pixma Pro-100 printer.  The Pro-100 is a professional printer (up to 13x19 inches) and comes with 50 sheets of photo paper free.  Now the good part, the rebate makes the printer itself nearly free.  I believe the total package is $950.  Camera (T6i), lens (ef-s 18-135mm), printer (Pro-100) and photo paper.  $350 rebate!

Any of the on-line stores will have it.  IMPO, I don't like Amazon.

Another good thing is your current lens or lenses will work just fine on the new T6i.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Night football has the same challenge as indoor basketball. Trying to freeze fast motion takes a fast shutter but a fast shutter lets in less light.   You don't want to raise the ISO sensitivity too high or image quality suffers from loss of detail and lots of grainy static.  So a large aperture lens would help a lot. 

Look at the 70-200 f/2.8 lenses from Tamron and Sigma if you don't want to stretch for the Canon version. I forget which of the two Ernie prefers but I think he has both. 

As as you already have lenses that will fit the T6i just get the body only with no lenses or printers or filters or camera bags or cleaning kits or etc... to cut cost. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ebiggs1 wrote:

If you are happy with your T1i than you will love the T6i.  Canon has a rebate deal on right now where you can get the T6i with the ef-s 18-135mm lens and a Pixma Pro-100 printer.  The Pro-100 is a professional printer (up to 13x19 inches) and comes with 50 sheets of photo paper free.  Now the good part, the rebate makes the printer itself nearly free.  I believe the total package is $950.  Camera (T6i), lens (ef-s 18-135mm), printer (Pro-100) and photo paper.  $350 rebate!

Any of the on-line stores will have it.  IMPO, I don't like Amazon.

Another good thing is your current lens or lenses will work just fine on the new T6i.

Night football has the same challenge as indoor basketball. Trying to freeze fast motion takes a fast shutter but a fast shutter lets in less light.   You don't want to raise the ISO sensitivity too high or image quality suffers from loss of detail and lots of grainy static.  So a large aperture lens would help a lot. 

Look at the 70-200 f/2.8 lenses from Tamron and Sigma if you don't want to stretch for the Canon version. I forget which of the two Ernie prefers but I think he has both. 

As as you already have lenses that will fit the T6i just get the body only with no lenses or printers or filters or camera bags or cleaning kits or etc... to cut cost. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Scott,

You are correct, sir!  I do have both and both are good.  I do prefer the Tamron SP 70-200mm f/2.8 Di VC USD Zoom Lens over the Siggy.  If I could not or did not have the amazing Canon version the Tamron would be it.

Note:  It is imperative you get the Tamron with the exact name as I posted.  There are several models. The others are not as good.  I don't think the others are still made but possibly they could still be for sale.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority

Either the 80d or the T6s would be good for you. You could even spend about $100 less and get a T6i that is just a couple bells and whistles below T6s if you need budget for lenses. 

The basketball is the one that may drive you into needing a brighter lens than any kit lens. The indoor gyms may look bright to your eyes but a camera needs more light than what you typically find in a gym in order to capture fast action like b-ball players.  You want a lens with a larger aperture (opening) in the lens to let more light into the camera in less time.  Sort of confusingly, a large lens aperture is denoted by a smaller f/number. You want at least an f/2.8 lens for indoor basketball and f/1.8 or f/1.4 would be even better. 

The following lenses are are some good choices in bright lenses. Hopefully you have some idea of what focal lengths you need. Also remember you can make an effort to arrive early and sit on the front row instead of at the back/top of the bleachers to help your lenses out.  Short bright lenses are cheaper than long bright lenses.

EF 70-200 f/2.8 IS 2.    $1,800.  Truly fantastic. Truly.  Great at sports or portraits. 

Ef-s 17-55 f/2.8 IS.      $800.  A great walk around length as your everyday lens. 

EF 85mm f/1.8.          $375.00. A very bright short telephoto for cheap price.  Could do basketball or portraits. 

Sigma or Tamron versions of these same lenses are at least pretty good and somewhat cheaper. Be sure to get the versions for Canon, not Nikon, etc. 

For the outdoor daylight light stuff a kit lens can be fine if not inspiring. Something like an EF-s 55-250 feel for about $250.00 will give workmanlike service outdoors in good sun. 

Scott

As for learning start with the central concept in photography. Look for short free 5-10 minute video tutorials on the "exposure triangle".  YouTube, Google Videos, etc. Watch about 3 different ones so it is explained a few different ways and so anything nor clearly explained in one will be covered better in another. 

I also suggest the book "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Petersen. He really shows you how to pick the right exposure from among the possible correct exposures to let you express your vision for the shot. 

Scott

RachelT
Apprentice
Thank you all for your help. I have a lot of good information I can go with. I need to educate myself more in using these cameras otherwise I don't see the point in spending on anything but a point and shoot. That too is on my list. : )
Announcements