Canon Community Canon Community

Frequent Contributor

Re: Traveling with camera gear

I am a hobbyist, and yes, the gear is very important to me.  My hobby is photographing birds, and all aspects of that are interesting: appreciating and using the equipment well, the challenge of getting a good shot, the appreciation of the bird's beauty, and the editing process.   For me, the equipment itself is a real draw.  Modern DSLRs are magnificent pieces of engineering. 

When I fly and take my 100-400 mm zoom, I have always taken it attached to the camera body, because I do not like to detach them, from dust considerations.  They travel in a Lowepro holster case, as  carry-on of course.  But some say it is better to detach the lens and camera when traveling, since the weak point in that arrangement is the lens-camera coupling.  One must then compromise, and I have chosen to not disconnect the lens.

Since I recently upgraded to the new 7D (from a 60D) and the improved 100-400 mm zoom, I am revisiting the issue.  That's the reason for the original post. I appreciate the comments that have been made.

VIP

I would pack each separately.  Not connected.  I should say that is what I did when I was working but I still travel that way if I am not the one handling the gear.

Again, the best advice is, just don't do anything stupid.  You'll be fine.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edward,

I can't believe this.  All of this is exactly what I said in the first reply of this thread.

Detach lens

Cap it

Transport detached

Use cap for body

Don't be afraid to change lenses, mount is designed for a life time of coupling decoupling

Use common sense during lens changes to avoid contaminants

Bring bags

Use your gear, its not going to be in a lab, its outside, there is going to be dust. 

Here's another suggestion.  Where a mask on the plane since you will be flying to a 3rd world country known for its exotic diseases and illnesses.  Vaccinations might be wise as well.

I'm not trying to be funny, seriously.  Are you going to take pictures, enjoy your hobby and capture memories?  Or are you going to agonize and commisurate over getting a speck of dust on your camera eqiuipment.  If you are that paranoid about your equipment you should stay home.  Like I said before, use your gear, take reasonable precautions and enjoy your trip.

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.3) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.0) ~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 1.03) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DPP 4.8.20 ~Windows10 Pro nVidia GPU 1803 ~Android 8.1
Frequent Contributor

Rick,

Yes, you did say this. . . thank you.  Sometimes it’s useful to have the comments of several people in a forum like this, because we all have our different views.  Even if  it gets repetitive sometimes, there can be useful nuances.

I am sorry if I neglected your original, thorough, reply.

Edward

Highlighted
Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Edward,

No problem.  Not looking for acknowledgement or apology.  Getting feedback from multiple souces is impotant, and here we've got many members with a great breath of knowledge - enthusiast to pro level experience.  I'm protective and cautious with my gear too.  I see you are a photographer at the heart level.  I share the same passion and the enjoyment of this outweighs the risk of using our gear, moving and making changes in less than favorable environments.   

Rick
Bay Area - CA
~6D2 (f/w 1.0.3) ~16-35mm f2.8L II, 50 f1.8 STM, 85 prime, 70-200 f2.8L IS II ~Sigma 24-70 f2.8 Art (f/w 2.0) ~Sigma 150-600 C + TC1401 1.4x (f/w 1.03) ~Speedlite 430 EX II ~DxO PhotoLab Elite ~DPP 4.8.20 ~Windows10 Pro nVidia GPU 1803 ~Android 8.1