cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Straps--neck or shoulder?

John_SD
Whiz

For you guys or gals who do a lot of outdoor photography and are walking a lot, do you prefer your camera around your neck or shoulder? I have a feeling I'll be carrying mine across the shoulder as I'm finding the camera bounces around with the strap around my neck.

Received my refurbished Rebel T6 from Canon yestrday and have it set up and ready to go. I really like it. Pretty easy to set up, especially having spent some time with the manual. A handful of initial shots in 'A' mode reveal nothing weird, unexpected or alarming. Looking forwrd to spending a few hours at the local tide pools over the weekend at low tide and a lot more hours in the desert. I've got a 58mm B+W UV filter and can't wait to get outdoors. I've considered a lens hood, but can't think of how it will protect me at the seashore, tidepools or out in the dusty desert. But I'm open to any and all suggestions.

21 REPLIES 21

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@John_SD wrote:

For you guys or gals who do a lot of outdoor photography and are walking a lot, do you prefer your camera around your neck or shoulder? I have a feeling I'll be carrying mine across the shoulder as I'm finding the camera bounces around with the strap around my neck.

Received my refurbished Rebel T6 from Canon yestrday and have it set up and ready to go. I really like it. Pretty easy to set up, especially having spent some time with the manual. A handful of initial shots in 'A' mode reveal nothing weird, unexpected or alarming. Looking forwrd to spending a few hours at the local tide pools over the weekend at low tide and a lot more hours in the desert. I've got a 58mm B+W UV filter and can't wait to get outdoors. I've considered a lens hood, but can't think of how it will protect me at the seashore, tidepools or out in the dusty desert. But I'm open to any and all suggestions.

Neck or shoulder strap?  I have found the Canon strap to uncomfortable.  I use a Black Rapid Sport in lieu of the standard issue Canon neck strap.  Always use a strap of some kind, even when the camera is on a tripod.

For walking around in the outdoors, I use a Lowepro Toploader Holster, which protects the camera from bumps and bangs, dirt and damp.  I don't see how guys can walk around in the wild with a naked camera on their hip.  There are a couple of threads on these forums by folks who are upset because their camera lenses fell off the bodies.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Op/Tech makes the CPS strap.  Great strap.  Smiley Happy

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Op/Tech makes the CPS strap.  Great strap.  Smiley Happy

Neck Straps are great for carrying a camera without a lens attached to it.

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

Be very careful around tide pools. I lost a T3i that got a "little" splash when the tide was coming in. At least I thought it was a little splash. The lens is still fine, though.

All was not lost, it gave me reason to upgrade to the T6S. 8^)

Thanks, kvbarkley. You're correct, even at low tide you can get surprised by a splash. I was OK, though, as over the years, I've gotten pretty good at being able to "read the waves," as is typical of those of us in SoCal who spend time at the tidepools or beaches. The biggest dangers are slips and falls. I'm afraid we've all been there. 🙂

And thank you, too, to RobertTheFat. I'll be picking up a polarizing filter in short order. Though there wasn't much sun on the water when I was out there this weekend due to the marine layer, I'll need one soon anyway. 

Canon does sell a waterproof camera, PowerShot D30.  

Your current gear doesn't necessarily have to get wet to get damaged.  Your gear isn't sealed, so prolonged or repeated exposure to humid, briny air cannot be a good thing.  Use some sort of a bag, as previously suggested with your current gear.  

Thanks! I'll look in to those sleeves. 

I splashed mine at Crystal Cove State beach...

Since I live in San Diego, I usually hit the Point Loma tide pools, the ones by Cabrillo. Haven't gotten splashed yet, though I've t aken a tumble a time or two on the rocks. When I'm up at Crystal Cove, I'm either on the sand or at the Shake Shack LOL. 

@John_SD wrote:

Since I live in San Diego, I usually hit the Point Loma tide pools, the ones by Cabrillo. Haven't gotten splashed yet, though I've t aken a tumble a time or two on the rocks. When I'm up at Crystal Cove, I'm either on the sand or at the Shake Shack LOL. 

Ha ha, talking about taking a tumble...Once I was at a beach at sunset taking pictures...before even had a chance to mount my camera on the tripod, a rogue wave came in and knocked me off my feet.  I was totally submerged but somehow managed to keep my 5D Mark III and the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II lens above water and undamaged...I was even impressed with myself 🙂

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements