cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Recommendations

Tvasc
Apprentice

Hello,

I do not own a camera (except my cellphone). I have no long term interest in taking picture (at least in the past it has not been a passion). However, I am going on an African safari, and I am excited about possibly getting beautiful pictures of beautiful animals. I don't know anything about cameras. I am looking for a camera that I can take great pictures with, without learning a lot about photography. I think I need a telephoto lens, but not sure really what focal length. 

My budget would max out at $1500, but would prefer not to spend that much.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

11 REPLIES 11

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

If you are in the US, I suggest you google "Lens Rentals" and click on the company that has that in the name. Rent a Canon T7i, an EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 and a Sigma 150-600 sport.

Get it a few weeks early so you can practice.

Tvasc
Apprentice
Thank you! Great idea.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

" I am looking for a camera that I can take great pictures with, without learning a lot about photography."

Easy!  One of the Powershot P&S cameras is made for you.  I like the Canon PowerShot G9 X Mark II.  With its 1" sensor is a good choice.  The Canon PowerShot G1 X Mark II has an even bigger 1.5" sensor.  It is the sensor that limits the smartphone as a camera.  Both of these full feature cameras can do everything a smartphone can plus give you great full size photos.  Even photos you may want to print.  There will be virtually no learning curve associated with either of these.  However, either camera has full manual control if you desire.  They also have several semi-auto modes.  They both come with non-interchangeable lenses that include WA to telephoto.

Both fall well below your budget and will be easy to learn how to use.  After all if you don't know how to use a camera, how good of pictures can you expect?

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

I don't see that any of your recommended cameras have a lens longer than a 120mm (35mm equiv). A little too short for wildlife.

"A little too short for wildlife."

I agree but I think this is the over weighing factor.  A camera you don't use or can't use doesn't provide any wildlife pictures.

" I have no long term interest in taking picture..."

The G1 X Mark II also offers digital zoom up to 4x, and what Canon calls a "digital teleconverter" at preset magnifications of 1.6x and 2.0x.  It does a better than average job.  If you have not used one, you will be impressed with the quality of the photos they produce.

The point is one of the Powshots is a good alternative. Especially if you are a person that just wants some nice photos and don't want to learn 'how-to' photography.

You and I would probably choose something different,  But for me I would still take my G1x along even though I would have my 1Dx and six or seven lenses.  A Powershot has gone along with me most of the time.

Let's compare the closest best thing in a Rebel might be the T7i and Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.  Set it on green square auto and shoot away.  OK, fine, I'm good with that, too.

EB

@ebiggs1wrote:

Let.s compare the closest best thing in a Rebel might be the T7i and Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens.  Set it on green square auto and shoot away.  OK, fine, I'm good with that, too.

Which is pretty much what I suggested he rent, though I upgraded the lenses a bit.

It's all about choices. We are all different. Smiley Happy

EB

Tvasc
Apprentice
Thanks for the advice.

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Tvascwrote:

Hello,

I do not own a camera (except my cellphone). I have no long term interest in taking picture (at least in the past it has not been a passion). However, I am going on an African safari, and I am excited about possibly getting beautiful pictures of beautiful animals. I don't know anything about cameras. I am looking for a camera that I can take great pictures with, without learning a lot about photography. I think I need a telephoto lens, but not sure really what focal length. 

My budget would max out at $1500, but would prefer not to spend that much.

Any suggestions are appreciated.

You would need a bigger budget than that to go the DSLR route.  Do not forget about accessories like a camera bag.  I suggest that you look at another branch of the Canon PowerShot series.  Take a look at the SX series, which have focal lengths as long as 1200mm, and can almost fit in the palm of your hand.  Well, I have big hands.  Buy extra batteries for the trip.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements