cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question from a 10 year Nikon shooter

greyhoundrick
Contributor

Hello everyone,

Ive been shooting Nikon for 10 years and have decided to purchase my first Canon DSLR, lens and flash.

I know nothing about Canon specifically and would love to have your input, expertise and suggestions in order to get started. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

I want to purchase a macro lens and body+flash to go with it and start by shooting macro with Canon gear. I believe the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x macro lens is the one I will get.

Can you recommend a body for this particular lens considering I wont be entering into Canon with the top pro model DSLR, but rather a fairly nice DX or FX body. I would compare it to a Nikon D7200 or Nikon D750.

Also, which flash you might recommend as well. I like to shoot off camera flash, but would need something not too cost prohibitive. 

My budget is somewhere in the $3000-$4000 range for everything.

Thank you very much for helping me and I look forward to seeing your recommendations.

Best to all,

Rick

13 REPLIES 13

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What sort of macro photography?  You could spend half that budget on support gear for macro shots, like tripods, macro rails, special macro flashes and remote triggers, etc.

Right now, the best buy in the Canon DSLR lineup is the EOS 80D, IMHO.  It uses a 24 MP, APS-C image sensor.  The lowest priced full frame Canon DSLR is the EOS 6D, with a 20 MP sensor.  Take your pick.  

Your lens choice has quite a lot of magnification, so your choice of tripod and head could be crucial to success.  At 5x magnification you will need a VERY stable tripod and head.  

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks very much for your expertise Waddizzle. I appreciate it!

The type of macro I'm interested in is mostly non-moving inanimate objects, flowers etc. Up to this point I have used mostly single off camera flash with bounce cards, flags etc.

I have some of the equipment already that is nikon/canon neutral, but the most important items for me would be the body, lens and flash.

One of the reasons I am going to purchase Canon gear for macro is I am not happy with what Nikon has to offer currently. There are no Nikon extension tubes that will allow communication with the G type lenses and no 2+:1 lenses currently offered. I don't like using TCs and/or magnification filters.

I really like the idea of super macro and was drawn to the MP-E lens.

If I totally convert to Canon I realize that I will suffer a financial set back, but my gear is somewhat dated and needs upgrading. I currently shoot with a Nikon D3 and D300.

Photography is very important to me (I guess thats why I drive a 1997 Nissan Pathfinder lol) and its worth the investment to me. A major change like this is something I have to do very carefully.

Thanks again for helping me with this.

Best always,

Rick

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@greyhoundrick wrote:

Hello everyone,

Ive been shooting Nikon for 10 years and have decided to purchase my first Canon DSLR, lens and flash.

I know nothing about Canon specifically and would love to have your input, expertise and suggestions in order to get started. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

I want to purchase a macro lens and body+flash to go with it and start by shooting macro with Canon gear. I believe the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x macro lens is the one I will get.

Can you recommend a body for this particular lens considering I wont be entering into Canon with the top pro model DSLR, but rather a fairly nice DX or FX body. I would compare it to a Nikon D7200 or Nikon D750.

Also, which flash you might recommend as well. I like to shoot off camera flash, but would need something not too cost prohibitive. 

My budget is somewhere in the $3000-$4000 range for everything.

Thank you very much for helping me and I look forward to seeing your recommendations.

Best to all,

Rick

I'd go with the EOS M5 ($1000) and the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro with built in LED light ($300), Canon EF to EF-M adapter ($200), Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro ($600), Canon MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite ($550).

edit: that's below the low end of you budget, so it allows room for you to add the MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro if you decide you actually need it.

What besides macro would you want to do with the Canon gear?  

A crop camera actually gives more DOF, and that is a good thing with macro.  An 80d would be a good choice for a full featured crop camera.  The new T7i Rebel would cost a little bit less.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

thank you Scott! At this point I wanted to start with Macro and if all goes well with my experience I would like to totally convert over to Canon.

My main interests are portraits and animals and I really enjoy the strobist part of photography. I have a lot to learn about macro, but thats the fun of it for me 🙂

Here is my Flickr photo stream. If any of you folks are on Flickr please follow me and I will follow you as well 🙂

https://www.flickr.com/photos/greyhoundrick/

I appreciate the points you've made and will duly note them! Will start checking out your recommendations ASAP!

take care Scott

best,

Rick

I am a Canon long time user and also a Nikon user.  You have a Nikon D3?  Very nice camera, I have one.  I also have the unbelievable D3x.  Both of these are vey capable cameras.  But your D300 not so much.  I would forget it, MHO, of course.

Have you ever used the AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D IF-ED Lens.  It is one of Nikon's best lenses. It is world class.  It would work nicely on your D3.

However, the entire world is in envy of the Canon lens line up.  No where, no body makes such a line.  The lenses are why you buy a Canon.  The suggestion above of the 80D is a good one.  The suggestion of any of the "M" series is a bad one.  Don't do it.

The Canon lens you want is the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens.  Fantastic lens.  The only better one made is the above mentioned Nikkor or the equally good Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM Lens.

So, if I were you this is what I would buy, the EOS 80D with a EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens.  And, stay away from the "M" series!

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

BTW, the Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens will also work well for the other photography you do.  Not simply macro.

EB

Sounds great! Thanks again! 🙂

Hope to hear from you soon Rick.  Enjoy the lens. Smiley Happy  It will be cheaper than switching!

EB
Announcements