cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question from a 10 year Nikon shooter

greyhoundrick
Contributor

Hello everyone,

Ive been shooting Nikon for 10 years and have decided to purchase my first Canon DSLR, lens and flash.

I know nothing about Canon specifically and would love to have your input, expertise and suggestions in order to get started. I appreciate any help you can give me. Thanks!

I want to purchase a macro lens and body+flash to go with it and start by shooting macro with Canon gear. I believe the Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x macro lens is the one I will get.

Can you recommend a body for this particular lens considering I wont be entering into Canon with the top pro model DSLR, but rather a fairly nice DX or FX body. I would compare it to a Nikon D7200 or Nikon D750.

Also, which flash you might recommend as well. I like to shoot off camera flash, but would need something not too cost prohibitive. 

My budget is somewhere in the $3000-$4000 range for everything.

Thank you very much for helping me and I look forward to seeing your recommendations.

Best to all,

Rick

13 REPLIES 13

Thank you ebiggs1. I appreciate your suggestions very much!

I will check out the 200mm f/4 you mentioned! Ive always wanted the f/2 version but the ol piggy bank wasnt full enough lol!

Again, many thanks for your expertise and hope to chat again soon!

take care,

Rick

Thank you TTMartin for the response. You have given me some excellent information and great advice! I look forward to interacting with you in the future and again, appreciate the expertise!

@TTMartin wrote:
I'd go with the EOS M5 ($1000) and the Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro with built in LED light ($300), Canon EF to EF-M adapter ($200), Canon EF 100mm f/2.8L IS Macro ($600), Canon MR-14EX II Macro Ring Lite ($550).

@greyhoundrick wrote:
Thank you TTMartin for the response. You have given me some excellent information and great advice! I look forward to interacting with you in the future and again, appreciate the expertise!

I thought I would do a follow up on why I recommended the EOS M5. The reason I recommended it, is exactly why some people will tell you not to get it. It is not a true dSLR, it is a Mirrorless Interchangable Lens Camera that is fully compatible with every EOS lens Canon makes EF, EF-S, and EF-M.

When doing Macro work you are either going to be using Liveview or mirror lock up, essentially turning your dSLR into a mirrorless camera. If you are going to do that why carry the extra weight and bulk of a dSLR in the first place?

The EOS M5 and the 80D use the same 24.2 Dual-Pixel APS-C sensor.

The EOS M5 is a Canon product that does not have a Nikon equivalent. Nikon uses a much smaller 2.7X crop sensor in their mirrorless line up.

Only the EOS M cameras are compatible with the unique EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro lens with built in LED lighting.

Great points! Thank you again for your time! 🙂

Announcements