cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Popular Photography

John_SD
Whiz

I'm sure that many of you already know this, but Popular Photography magazine has folded after 80 years, and its web presence will also soon cease to exist, according to what I've read. It seems that its March/April issue will be its last. 

Management's letter to employees reads, in part:

"The rise of smartphone-camera technology and its increasing ability to capture quality photos and video and instantly share them socially has dealt the photo industry formidable challenges. For our brands, these industry challenges have left us with insurmountable losses in advertising and audience support. Despite the extraordinary efforts of our committed colleagues at Popular Photography and American Photo, as well as our best attempts corporately to find a sustainable path forward, we are simply unable to overcome these market forces."

The statement makes perfect sense to me. I personally believe that DSLR photography, for many, is just too much. From what I've seen on various fourms, the newer users, in many cases, don't seem to have the ability to focus on anything long enough to develop technique and skill, and seem disinclined to do any kind of serious self-study that would help build understanding, skill and technique. Because so many rely on smartphones for snapshots, there just isn't the kind of audience these publications require to attract subscribers and advertisers. My opinion only, of course. 

https://petapixel.com/2017/03/07/popular-photography-dead-80-years-top-photo-magazine/

29 REPLIES 29

"I am not going to own the label silly, ..."

Sometimes 'silly' becomes reality!    We'll see. Time will tell.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ebiggs1 wrote:

"I am not going to own the label silly, ..."

Sometimes 'silly' becomes reality!    We'll see. Time will tell.

Frankly, I'm not sure what pont you are trying to make, but at this stage further discussion is pontless Smiley Frustrated

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

The point is 'silly' people have found out to be correct sometimes.  I doubt film has any sort of a major come back but "time will tell".  We shall see.  Who knows you may have it right.

EB

Personally, I believe that smartphones have been the biggest block to DSLR cameras. For every guy I see with a Canon or N*kon, I see about a thousand snapping away with their iPhones. My perceptions only, of course. 

Very true and excellent perception. However, before cell phone cameras there were a lot of digital point and shoots. With film, SLRs existed beside even more point and shoots. Before 35mm became the standard in America, most people used Brownies or other simple box cameras while the pros were using their large format, 50 lb, monstrosities. Or, their 20 lb Haselblads and TLRs. The term "snapshot" was created just for these people that wanted a photo of Uncle and Auntie before they moved to Big Butt Idaho or little Johnny's birthday. They aren't art. But the users don't care. 

When  a cell phone can shoot with a predetemrined DOF or a fast enough shutter to catch a hummingbird midstroke, then DSLRs will be done for.

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

When  a cell phone can shoot with a predetemrined DOF or a fast enough shutter to catch a hummingbird midstroke, then DSLRs will be done for.

Frankly I disagree. I shoot birds and animals, some of them predatory to humans at up to 300m away and that is not uncommon..  I use a professional-level DSLR with a long lens and extender to get the shot large enough for a decent image. I fail to see how one can do that with a cell phone - perhaps you have a solution for that.  Maybe in some future time we will have lenses that that small, but in my life time...?

As our esteemed colleague is fond of saying "We shall see..." Smiley Tongue

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

“Sales of professional photographic films have been steadily rising over the last few years, with professionals and enthusiasts rediscovering the artistic control offered by manual processes and the creative satisfaction of a physical end product. ...

That sounds like another version of "vinyl vs digital" music. In my opinion, if an artist wanted scratching noises in their music, they would have a band member scratching something.

What artistic control I have no idea. In my mind, film limits the artistic control while digital has greatly expanded it.

@Mr_Fusion wrote:

“Sales of professional photographic films have been steadily rising over the last few years, with professionals and enthusiasts rediscovering the artistic control offered by manual processes and the creative satisfaction of a physical end product. ...

That sounds like another version of "vinyl vs digital" music. In my opinion, if an artist wanted scratching noises in their music, they would have a band member scratching something.

What artistic control I have no idea. In my mind, film limits the artistic control while digital has greatly expanded it.

Personally I am not inclined to return to film, but if there is a constituency out there that wants to use film I don't feel threatend by it and welcome them to enjoy their experiences and the technology.  The apparent reversal in the decline in that niche market is what it is and frankly I wish them every good luck - it's one of those things about freedom of choice.   It's the same logic that makes people drive vintage cars, ride horses or any other non-mainstream activity.  As long as it does no one any harm, why should they not, and who are we to judge them?Smiley Indifferent

cheers, TREVOR

diverhank
Authority

Yes...I think the internet or rather what's immediately available on the internet regarding photography is what's killing Popular Photography. I've been a fan of Popular Photography for a long time but I must admit the magazine has become less relevant as I can find out about any topic (new products, reviews, how-to's, etc) quicker on the internet, complete with video instructions (on youtube).  Popular photography has not been re-inventing itself enough, unfortunately to make subscription worthwhile.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

I too regret the demise of Popular Photography, which I've read off and on since I was a kid. (As it happens, PP and I were born in the same year.) But the fact is that their reviews, especially in recent years, usually read like they had been written by sycophantic fanboys, and their pictures, particularly their landscapes, were almost invariably over-edited.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"I can find out about any topic ... quicker on the internet,..."

A better name for news papers and magazines should probably be history papers and history books.

EB
Announcements