cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New Cameras: M6, T7i, 77D

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

They all look pretty good on paper, except for one thing.  Battery capacity.  All three use the same battery, LP-E17.  I don't think giving the 77D a small battery was a good idea.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
16 REPLIES 16

@Harhutch wrote:

Anyone aware if the T7i has a battery grip available yet?

Hi Harhutch:

To the best of my knowledge Canon have not made battery grips for their Rebel series for quite a few models - the last I recall having one was the Canon 650D (Rebel T4i).  You might be able to get a 3rd party grip.  It appears that Canon have reserved grips for the XXD and XD models.

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Thanks.  I have battery grips for my T3i and T4i just want to know about T7i before I get one.

@Harhutch wrote:

Thanks.  I have battery grips for my T3i and T4i just want to know about T7i before I get one.

I do not foresee a grip for the T7i from Canon, because the battery compartment seems to lack the extra contacts needed for a shutter button and other controls.  The T5 and T6 were the same way, and Canon did not release grips for those bodies.

A couple of third parties released grips, but the shutter control on the grip was a wire that went into the wired remote shutter port on the side of the camera.  The external wire could be removed, and you simply had extra battery power.

Was freaking out about this cause I just bought the 77d thinking they would def have a battery grip. DOH!!

But after an hour of internet search I found the answer with a Travor grip model BG-1X on a famous auction web site. It has a tiny headset size male to male cable that lets you use the shutter in the vertical mode. The best case scenario given the fact that they only have 4 contacts in the battery compartment. Got my 2 new Oaroda batterys that the camera can get the remaining battery life even with the 2 batteries loaded in this grip. STOKED!

Cmon Canon, let us peasants with plastic cameras have a plastic grip to match!!!!

@beachmiles wrote:

Was freaking out about this cause I just bought the 77d thinking they would def have a battery grip. DOH!!

But after an hour of internet search I found the answer with a Travor grip model BG-1X on a famous auction web site.

Cmon Canon, let us peasants with plastic cameras have a plastic grip to match!!!!

I hope that you did not buy one.  The only third party brand of battery grip that I would trust is Vello, and they have not released one for the 77D yet, as far as I know.  

Do not bother with using the external wire for the shutter, because it makes the entire setup a little to fragile, and too vulnerable to accidents.  This is why having control connections inside the battery compartment becomes important  Use the grip only for the extra battery power, because that is really the only purpose for which it is useful.

I have a couple of battery grips from Travor and they seem to work fine.  The ante has upped recently, at least for the 80D and 7DII, as they seem to figure out that you have a compatible grip and display disouraging messages.  For the 7DII I used a Mieke grip and it worked perfectly!

cheers, TREVOR

"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

I bought one and am very glad I did. It connects up perfectly and works with my 2 QAproda batteries and the camera shows the remaining charge. It only complained about the batteries the first time I turned the camera on with the setup. After that its been smooth sailing.

Since there is no other option availiable I would say this works, feels fairly well built, and a decent price. If there was another option I can't imagine it being too much better than this one.

I prob won't ever use that cable, but if the rare case comes up I'll have it in my bag.

Announcements