Canon Community Canon Community
 


Reply
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,185
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

New Cameras: M6, T7i, 77D

They all look pretty good on paper, except for one thing.  Battery capacity.  All three use the same battery, LP-E17.  I don't think giving the 77D a small battery was a good idea.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎10-18-2016

Re: New Cameras: M6, T7i, 77D

[ Edited ]

As I have seen commented in many forums, the range of features between the Rebel T71, 77D and 80D is getting a bit congested.  One thing I am surprised about is that apparently (according to DP Review)  one cannot get a battery grip for either the T7I or the 77D.  I think I am right in saying that this is the first time that this has happened.  My first DSLR camera was a 400D and I have been able to get grips that for all the Canon DSLRs I have since purchased. With smaller bodies I find the grips not only provide extra energy capacity, but help balance larger lenses.

 

To further your comments: with the batteries for these bodies of such limited capacity, it seems strange that a battery grip is not available, it would seem an obvious accessory...

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,185
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: New Cameras: M6, T7i, 77D


Tronhard wrote:

As I have seen commented in many forums, the range of features between the Rebel T71, 77D and 80D is getting a bit congested.  One thing I am surprised about is that apparently (according to DP Review)  one cannot get a battery grip for either the T7I or the 77D.  I think I am right in saying that this is the first time that this has happened.  My first DSLR camera was a 400D and I have been able to get grips that for all the Canon DSLRs I have since purchased. With smaller bodies I find the grips not only provide extra energy capacity, but help balance larger lenses.

 

To further your comments: with the batteries for these bodies of such limited capacity, it seems strange that a battery grip is not available, it would seem an obvious accessory...


I can see maybe not having a grip for the Rebel.  Not all Rebels have Canon grips, like the T5, for example.  But, I would expect the 77D to have one because it is a ##D model number.  Giving it a small battery is a surprise, too, especially if there is no available battery grip.  It's almost as if the 77D is a misnamed Rebel body.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎10-18-2016

Re: New Cameras: M6, T7i, 77D

I have had the Canon 400D, 500D, 600D, 650D, all with battery grips, hence my comment. Still, I can see that if they want a point of differentiation between the 800D and the 77D it is one way of doing so.

 

My impression is that the 77D is, to the 800D what the 760D was to the 750D. - basically, as you say, a super-Rebel.  It seems that Canon want to put some space between the two, but now it's in the territory of the ##D series, but without many of the features current in that line - for example the battery type which for most ##D models  is consistent with the #D series,..  It remains to be seen if it clarifies or adds further confusion to the marketing line-up.

 

 

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎10-18-2016

Re: New Cameras: M6, T7i, 77D

[ Edited ]

Now I am further confused...!Smiley Surprised

 

I just went on line to Amazon and Ebay and there are listings for battery grips for the T7I and 77D, yet DP Review and another site both indicated that the bodies do not accept a battery grip.

 

I could not find a listing for a battery grip as an accessory on the offical Canon Site for either body.  Go figure...

 

This quote from the Digital Picture review:

"Standard has been for Canon to provide a battery grip for all of their flagship Rebel models (and all models above these). According to Canon USA, the 77D is not compatible with the T6s/T6i's battery grip, the Canon BG-E18 Battery Grip. At the time of this preview publication, there is no battery grip available for the 77D (or T7i).

Battery grips are great accessories; I hope Canon releases a compatible model before the EOS 77D lands on retail shelves."

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,185
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: New Cameras: M6, T7i, 77D

[ Edited ]

Tronhard wrote:

Now I am further confused...!Smiley Surprised

 

I just went on line to Amazon and Ebay and there are listings for battery grips for the T7I and 77D, yet DP Review and another site both indicated that the bodies do not accept a battery grip.

 

I could not find a listing for a battery grip as an accessory on the offical Canon Site for either body.  Go figure...


Canon does not sell a battery grip for the Rebel T5, but a couple of third party vendors sell one.  One issue with the T5 is that the battery compartment does not provide for remote shutter control.  The third party grips for the T5 use a wire that connects the grip to the remote shutter control input.  

 

The lack of a control interface in the battery compartment could be the reason why Canon has not released grips for certain camera bodies in the past.

 

[EDIT]. I would never buy anything more substantial than a paperback from Amazon or eBay.  Both outlets seem to suffer from having a few unscrupulous vendors and suppliers.  Are the battery grips supposedly  Canon battery grips?  If so, they are obvious fakes.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎10-18-2016

Re: New Cameras: M6, T7i, 77D

[ Edited ]

Since I gave up on the Rebel line after the 650D /Rebel T(whatever that is in the US) that make sense.  But they have consistently provided grips for the XXD and XD models, so if they are not providing a grip for the 77D, then it's a further point of inconsistency.  I think they should have stuck to the Rebel name and called it the 810D - I fear it will degrade the consistency and status of the ##D series rather than anything else, because one may tend to use heavier and more expensive lenses with these more up-market bodies, so a battery grip will provide more balance - but that's just me...

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy
Esteemed Contributor
Posts: 4,185
Registered: ‎08-13-2015

Re: New Cameras: M6, T7i, 77D


Tronhard wrote:

Since I gave up on the Rebel line after the 650D /Rebel T(whatever that is in the US) that make sense.  But they have consistently provided grips for the XXD and XD models, so if they are not providing a grip for the 77D, then it's a further point of inconsistency.  I think they should have stuck to the Rebel name and called it the 810D - I fear it will degrade the consistency and status of the ##D series rather than anything else - but that's just me...


That is my sentiment, too.  The 77D does not seem to belong where it is positioned in the Canon lineup.  It has two MAJOR strikes against it.  It does not use the LP-E6(N) battery, and that it lacks an available battery grip.  The naming of the 77D is a marketing mistake, IMHO.

 

It is obvious that Canon's current model numbering schemes are running out of model numbers, so why not start a new generation of model numbers that reflect that newer technologies they have begun using, like Dual Pixel CMOS?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Highlighted
Frequent Contributor
Posts: 65
Registered: ‎10-18-2016

Re: New Cameras: M6, T7i, 77D

[ Edited ]

I think we are singing from the same songbook.

 

I too have been wondering what Canon is going to do with their numbering series.  We have the 80D, so one would expect that the series would continue with the 90D and 100D, but wait there is already a 100D model, so what happens then???

 

The same thing is going to happen to Rebel seried identified by numbers i.e. 800D, 900D, 1000D (already exists)

 

It would have been a good idea for them to have applied more universally the Mk convention, one could have had the 600D Mk I, and the 80D MkI, II etc.  Just keep the numbers for major changes in technology.

 

A friend of mine who is a Nikon officianado, has similar gripes about their naming conventions.  It would seem that camera marketing have their own secret society with a logic all their own... Smiley Tongue

"All the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy
powered by Lithium

LIKE US on Facebook FOLLOW US on Twitter WATCH US on YouTube CONNECT WITH US on Linkedin WATCH US on Vimeo FOLLOW US on Instagram SHOP CANON at the Canon Online Store
© Canon U.S.A., Inc.   |    Terms of Use   |    Privacy Statement