cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Want Sharp Image (New Camera or Macro Lens)

margzxero
Contributor

I have canon 750D, I want a nice sharp/clear image of my jewelry, do I need to invest in macro or buy new camera.

Thanks

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

By 55mm do you mean the 18-55mm kit zoom lens?  

A macro lens lens would be sharper and better able to shoot from up close. 

Are you using a tripod?  A good solid tripod would help immensely by letting you stop the lens down to f/8 or f/11 for more depth of field since on a tripod you are unconcerned with handheld camera shake and long shutter exposures like full seconds are possible. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

@margzxero wrote:

I am a freelance product photographer but shooting a jewellery is very hard. I am planning to buy a Canon 5D or better invest in macro lens?

For Macro work the 5D would be a step backwards. The smaller the sensor the larger the depth of field. Going to a larger sensor just means having to use a smaller aperture to compensate for it. You gain nothing, but, a lighter wallet.

Great, in that case go for the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens instead.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Either but you do need proper exposures.  You do need a post editor like Lightromm or Photoshop.  There are others but these two are the best, IMHO.  You can google 'focus stacking' and get some good hits.

Basically what you do is get different parts of the subject in focus not worrying about the rest that isn't.  The stacking software picks and chooses the sharpest parts of all the shots and 'stacks' them into one photo.

Lo and behold everything is sharp!  Smiley Happy

EB

62 REPLIES 62

How can I fix this white balance thing, I tried looking online but I only got this fix.\

The diamond is very dull looking.

micro-pave-round-gray-diamond-engagement-ring-b.jpg

He needs more something close to this one. with my current technique and setup. I know I cannot achieve like that one, but maybe close to that for brochure. I know this is retouched.

Do you mean you want the BG to be perfect white?

original.jpg

EB

If you do, the reason it isn't perfect white is because your camera tries to make everything a shade of grey.  In this case it is trying to get to a 18% grey shade.  It doesn't quite make it but it still tries.  18% grey is where the exposures are made as a default.  Sometime it makes getting a true black or in this case perfect white difficult.  You need to adjust it in post editing or some sort of exposure compensation.  Remember all great shots are made in post, not in the camera.

EB

Thanks for the help I will get back to you, once I have the macro lens.

John_SD
Whiz
You would do well to heed Robert's post. It is clear to me that you are in denial.

with the current setup I have, that is the best I can do.

"... that is the best I can do."

Is it?  What post editor do you have or use?  We can tweak what you have and make it better with what gear you have.  Look how much better it is already.  What editor?

EB

That is still RAW file, I know how to use photoshop and adobe lightroom, I did not edit it yet because my boss told me he needs more sharp images.

"That is still RAW file..."

Can't be as you can not view a RAW file. It has to be converted into something else.  Like a tif or jpg.

"I know how to use photoshop and adobe lightroom..."

Outstanding, this is where you need to get more u close and personal.  It is the missing link that will make the shots great.

" I did not edit it yet because my boss told me he needs more sharp images."

You should have.  All lenses need 'lens correction' applied.  The best way is with post editing.  The sharpness can be enhanced in post, too.  Post is where it happens and all comes together.  If you are unwilling or unable to use or do the required post editing,  the shots will never look as good as they can. Even if you buy the best macro lens Canon makes.

EB

@margzxero wrote:

with the current setup I have, that is the best I can do.

No...you can try backlighting the diamonds with one of your flashes.  The brilliance in the diamond is all in the lighting.  Go to a jewelry store and you'll see how they light them up.  It is easier to do it with fixed lighting though so you can see it without having to take the shot.  Get a bunch of daylight bulbs.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Announcements