cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

I Want Sharp Image (New Camera or Macro Lens)

margzxero
Contributor

I have canon 750D, I want a nice sharp/clear image of my jewelry, do I need to invest in macro or buy new camera.

Thanks

4 ACCEPTED SOLUTIONS

By 55mm do you mean the 18-55mm kit zoom lens?  

A macro lens lens would be sharper and better able to shoot from up close. 

Are you using a tripod?  A good solid tripod would help immensely by letting you stop the lens down to f/8 or f/11 for more depth of field since on a tripod you are unconcerned with handheld camera shake and long shutter exposures like full seconds are possible. 

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

View solution in original post

@margzxero wrote:

I am a freelance product photographer but shooting a jewellery is very hard. I am planning to buy a Canon 5D or better invest in macro lens?

For Macro work the 5D would be a step backwards. The smaller the sensor the larger the depth of field. Going to a larger sensor just means having to use a smaller aperture to compensate for it. You gain nothing, but, a lighter wallet.

Great, in that case go for the EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro IS USM Lens instead.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Either but you do need proper exposures.  You do need a post editor like Lightromm or Photoshop.  There are others but these two are the best, IMHO.  You can google 'focus stacking' and get some good hits.

Basically what you do is get different parts of the subject in focus not worrying about the rest that isn't.  The stacking software picks and chooses the sharpest parts of all the shots and 'stacks' them into one photo.

Lo and behold everything is sharp!  Smiley Happy

EB

62 REPLIES 62

Thanx so much for the info. I was worried you just read MTF charts all day and collected them like stamps.  

"I'm out actually out in the field taking photos, ...

Oh, OK, I thought it was your wife that took all the photos.  Nice to see you go along with her.

"...not just sitting at my computer or occasionally going out on my porch to take photos."

Well you know there are those stairs I have to contend with.  If it weren't only for them I could.

" For me the more compact size, lighter weight..."

Do you have a disability that doesn't allow you to carry heavy lenses?  There are aids you can get that will make it more easy for you.  You might try a Black Rapid Sport strap for instance.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Thanx so much for the info. I was worried you just read MTF charts all day and collected them like stamps.  

"I'm out actually out in the field taking photos, ...

Oh, OK, I thought it was your wife that took all the photos.  Nice to see you go along with her.

"...not just sitting at my computer or occasionally going out on my porch to take photos."

Well you know there are those stairs I have to contend with.  If it weren't only for them I could.

" For me the more compact size, lighter weight..."

Do you have a disability that doesn't allow you to carry heavy lenses?  There are aids you can get that will make it more easy for you.  You might try a Black Rapid Sport strap for instance.

You thought my wife's name was Tom V Martin? Since that's the Copyright Watermark on my photos I post, how progressive of you.

No disability. Though if I did you'd look like a bigger jerk than you already do. Wouldn't you? 

Sorry, I have first hand knowledge of a coworker having his camera fall to the ground while using a Black Rapid Strap. So why would I pay twice as much for a strap that risks damage to my gear? No thanks I'll stick with my OPTech USA straps.

I think we've gone beyond helping the OP.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

I think we've gone beyond helping the OP.

I think you're right. I generally try to avoid replying to posts that reveal a lack of fundamental understanding of the basics. Why? Because nearly all of it is easily grasped by taking an interest in photography and doing some self-study, be it books, the manual itself, or classes. But in this thread I transgressed and offered unsolicited advice to a guy who's trying to take some photos of a fake diamond ring and can't seem to control his focus point and lighting. 

I mean, here I am, a rank amateur with a measly T6, yet I have had zero problems learning how to shoot in varying light conditions, adjustng the various camera settings to obtain the results I'm after, manipulating DOF to my purpose, and staying on a path that helps me to learn. The formula is simple: read, practice, repeat.

So I remain confounded by how many people are struggling to acquire focus, seem to have no understanding of the role of aperature, shutter speed, and ISO, blame the camera and manufacturer when they drop their lens, post queries that are incomplete and nonsensical, complain about their camera lacking functions that a bit of reasearch would have revealed.

In this particular case, the photographer was unable to obtain clear photos so he is asking whether he should buy a 5D. This is rather like a new driver who is still struggling to understand the rules of the road asking whether a new Corvette would solve his problems.

End of rant.  

"You thought my wife's name was Tom V Martin?"

Actually I didn't know your name or hers until now but copyright marks don't mean much.  Anybody can put one on.  Right?

Glad to hear you are able bodied Tom.  You may still want to give the Black Rapid a try.  Possibly your coworker bud screwed up. They are not that hard to figure out or to use.  Any person of average intelligence can do it.  Maybe a local camera store will allow you to try one before you buy.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Actually I didn't know your name or hers until now but copyright marks don't mean much.  Anybody can put one on.  Right?

Not legally.

"Not legally."

Then don't do it.  Smiley Happy

EB

@diverhank wrote:

@jrhoffman75 wrote:

Just so we don't loose sight of the OP's issue, here is the question and examples from the other post she made.

http://community.usa.canon.com/t5/EOS-Rebel/Canon-750D-Noise-Product-Photography/m-p/207342#U207342

Thanks for posting this...she does a better job than I had envisioned but still the fundamental problems are still there...1. lighting is not that great, 2. focus was off - the focus was on the metal behind the diamonds and not on the diamonds and 3. f/22 is not as sharp due to diffraction.

Perhaps with improved techniques, she may benefit more with a better lens.

But, fix the technique before buying a lens.

@diverhank wrote:

@ebiggs1 wrote:

"Personally I don't even think you need a new lens to get clear and sharp pictures."

You don't think the ef 100mm f2.8 macro can do better than a kit zoom?  Smiley Surprised  Just curious!

I didn't say that.  In capable hands, a macro lens will be infinitely better but if you can't get sharp and clear picture with a kit lens, you won't get sharp and clear pictures with a better lens, either.  There is no magic in a macro lens that will get you sharp picture without doing the right thing.  That is my point.

There are definately people here who think you can buy your way to good photography, and you can't. If you can't get a sharp photo with the EF-S 18-55 IS STM lens, getting a new lens won't help.

Here's an example from Flikr of what the EF-S 18-55 IS STM lens (with extension tubes) is capable of.

14904234150_ff34fdc3dc_o.jpg

Image by Barish Photography

EXIF Data:
==========
Camera : Canon EOS 70D DSLR
Lens : Canon EF-S 18-55 mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM (With Extension Tubes)
ISO : 800
Aperture : 16 mm
Focal Length : 55 mm
Exposure : 1/250 Sec
Flash : Did not fire
Date : 12 Aug 2014
Color Space : sRGB
Exposure Bias : 0 EV

Announcements