cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How Do You Travel in Europe with Your Gear?

ScottS
Enthusiast

In March, I will be traveling to Budapest, Vienna, and Prague, and will be bringing my F-Stop Guru Daypack with my Canon Camera, lenses, and small items. I know that this will work as a carry-on, which is one of the big reasons I bought it last summer. We are touring as a group, and I'm sure that our guides will know the "ropes" once we are there. But I would like to know ahead of time, if possible.

I am curious as to the allowability of daypacks into some of the venues we will be visiting, such as historic churches, cathedrals, and museums. Could you please comment as to your experience in Europe traveling with your photographic gear? Has it been a problem for you? I definitely want to photograph places where photos are allowed, but not have to continually check my daypack full of gear.

Thanks for your insights!

ScottS

7 REPLIES 7

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

I think common sense is the order of the day.  No doubt, every venue, town, city, or country can have their own individual security policies.  And, of course, it's all subject to change on a moment's notice.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for sharing your thought, Waddizzle 🙂

I know from past experience with you that your input is sincere, so I am not thinking that you were "dissing" me with the "common sense" comment. 

I DO think my question is a valid one, and has detailed possibilities for response. Perhaps I asked it too broadlly. For example I know from my India treks to Kedarnath, Tungnath, and Rudraprayag, that cameras are not welcome at all. So if you have it in a Lowepro 36, a Ruggard Commando, an F-stop Daypack, it's all going to be "check it at the door," and not bring it in, but just without the bag.

I know from museums in Germany, I've been able to carry this in, except in the inner rooms of Neuschwanstein Castle, where they want to keep the room's stories and decor "secret."

My question involves cities in which I've never traveled. And I wondered if there were resource people on the Canon Forum, who have perhaps been to Prague, Budapest, Vienna in the past few weeks to, say, the Wallenstein Castle, and if they could be so kind as to share whether they had to check their daypack in, or were allowed to have it first searched, and then brought in. Or if they carry a spare Ruggard or Lowepro that is smaller and less "packy" for those moments where just a camera holder is allowed.

I will absolutely be taking my F-Stop full of my DSLR and 3-5 lenses with me. I just wonder if I'm going to have to "coat check" it or bring only one lens in to the historic site. That kind of thing.

I sure hope that people on this forum know that I know it's going to vary from place to place. But I was, still AM hoping for some people who have recently traveled to those three cities, and might be able to comment as to how they handled their gear.

You're a great support to me. Today just feels a bit "judgy" and silent to me. And I don't like that, because I've always considered the Canon Forum and the FM forum to be places where no question is too "something" to get a supportive response. Again, Waddizzle, you have been great in your support and ideas to me. But I just felt the need to clarify and restate my question. 

Bottom line: you're probably right. And this is going to get about 40 total views, your one kind response, and I'll want to delete it until such time I can ask a really "GOOD" question ;)!!! (BTW, CAN we delete questions?)

Have a good day! Thanks for letting me vent :)!!!

"I know from past experience with you that your input is sincere, so I am not thinking that you were "dissing" me with the "common sense" comment. 

I DO think my question is a valid one, and has detailed possibilities for response. Perhaps I asked it too broadlly. For example I know from my India treks to Kedarnath, Tungnath, and Rudraprayag, that cameras are not welcome at all. So if you have it in a Lowepro 36, a Ruggard Commando, an F-stop Daypack, it's all going to be "check it at the door," and not bring it in, but just without the bag."

No, I wasn't trying to be offensive, just honest.  I was thinking more along the lines of actual security threats.  The world has quickly become a dangerous place in recent years, particularly across Europe..  Places in the U.S. that I have visited in the past have now institutued rigid policies regarding the size of a bag you may carry about the premises.  Policies for cameras and other recording devices can vary widely, as you have just notied.

I would suggest researching online some of the specific sites that you wish to visit.  They may have a web site with a posted visitor policy concerning bags and cameras.  You might try checking out one of those traveler web sites that rate different places for tourists, and post reviews.

BTW, I think your questions are good ones. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks, Waddizzle! Those are some good ideas, and agreed: the world has become a very touchy place these days!

I appreciate your input and support. You're a good "ally" for me on here!

ScottS

@ScottS wrote:

In March, I will be traveling to Budapest, Vienna, and Prague, and will be bringing my F-Stop Guru Daypack with my Canon Camera, lenses, and small items. I know that this will work as a carry-on, which is one of the big reasons I bought it last summer. We are touring as a group, and I'm sure that our guides will know the "ropes" once we are there. But I would like to know ahead of time, if possible.

I am curious as to the allowability of daypacks into some of the venues we will be visiting, such as historic churches, cathedrals, and museums. Could you please comment as to your experience in Europe traveling with your photographic gear? Has it been a problem for you? I definitely want to photograph places where photos are allowed, but not have to continually check my daypack full of gear.

Thanks for your insights!

ScottS

Doesn't every tourist trap in the world have a Web site by now? I'd expect that each venue's Web site would tell you what that venue's camera policy is, at least to some level of detail. The question must come up repeatedly, especially now that there are so many Chinese tourists out in the world. Did you ever see a Chinese tourist who wasn't carrying a camera?

And what about the company or organization that's planning the trip? If they've ever done this sort of thing before, they should be able to provide you with useful advice.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Thanks, Bob!

Good "stuff!" I appreciate your response :)!

ScottS

weathermore
Contributor
As far as in Israel, the Israeli museum would allow me to bring a free hand camera but they would not allow gear such as tripods. I also had issues in many catholic holy sites that would not allow me to record whatsoever. Usually i was gracious to them and proved that the camera was turned off and it was all good.
Announcements