cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With First Ever Camera Purchase

cciga
Contributor

Hello everyone, I am looking into getting my first ever camera and was hoping to get a suggestion or two. I want to be able to use it in low light conditions like star gazing if possible but the main reason would be to use on vacation, sight seeing. I personally found the DxO One which for the price of $500 not sure if the size would outweigh the specs of the camera for that price. I also was suggested the Sony A6000, $550. 

I was hoping to get some suggestions for a first time buy at or around the same price range as the two cameras as above from Canon. 

Thank you for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@cciga wrote:

Hello everyone, I am looking into getting my first ever camera and was hoping to get a suggestion or two. I want to be able to use it in low light conditions like star gazing if possible but the main reason would be to use on vacation, sight seeing. I personally found the DxO One which for the price of $500 not sure if the size would outweigh the specs of the camera for that price. I also was suggested the Sony A6000, $550. 

I was hoping to get some suggestions for a first time buy at or around the same price range as the two cameras as above from Canon. 

Thank you for your help!

My personal opinion it the DxO One is an overpriced gimmicky point and shoot camera. 

On the Canon side I would consider the PowerShot G7 X Refurbished ($449.99) direct from Canon with one year warranty.

As far as the Sony A6000 this is where Canon becomes the clearly better choice. When it comes to interchangeable lens cameras, Canon has the best lens value out there. Canon's STM lenses offer outstanding image quality, at an unbeatable price.

The EOS Rebel SL1 with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens Kit Black Refurbished ($329.99) direct from Canon with one year warranty.

The SL1 received DPReviews Gold Award and was selected as their 'Camera of the Year'.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

And as for additional big purchases, I'd hold off until you know what kind of shooting you like, so you know what other lenses and stuff you will really need.  I know it is tempting to buy doo-dads like filters, lens cap leashes, and even extra lenses or tripods.  I'd hold off on all, especially the lenses until you know what you need.

Some inexpensive things you almost certainly will be wise to own no matter what would include:

1.) Collapsible reflector.  Basically a shiny fabric circle mounted on a round steel hulahoop.  Folds up into a little circle with a little pretzel-making hand motion.  Cheap as chips and simple as can be, and will allow you to add beautiful fill light.

2.) Microfiber lens cloth in a ziplock plastic baggie.  Don't wipe lenses with paper towels, etc...  Also really cheap.

3.) Extra memory card.  Nothing worse than filling one up and not having another with you.

One more piece of advice I, and lots of people, learned the hard way:  Don't pick up a cheap tripod.  You will end up just buying another tripod when you realize the cheap one is too flimsy and unsteady.  If you need one (not everyone does) expect to pay a couple hundred dollars minimum or more for a good set of legs and a head.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Thanks for the tips! This will definitely help me when its time. Thank you so much

@cciga wrote:

Thank you so much! Just my last question would be, the Sl1 is a good low level light camera for entry level right? Also I did some digging the past few minutes. I do understand the value is a lot better for the SL1 but a few reviews show the D3300 from Nikon is better in specs? Can I ask what do you think of the D3300 compared to the SL1? Or is it not even worth the headache of googling? Again thanks for your help

The review that said it was better - http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-SL1-vs-Nikon-D3300/detailed

You have to take the long view. If your first camera may be your last camera, its low-light capability may be an important consideration. But no entry-level camera is going to have really good LL capability. So if you plan to move up the ladder, overall system criteria, such as the quality of a manufacturer's lenses, higher-level cameras, and customer support, should probably carry more weight. One thing you don't want to do, all else being anywhere near equal, is switch manufacturers along the way, thereby obsoleting all your current equipment.

To illustrate that last point ...

Shortly after my wife and I got married, her aging Sears Tower 35mm camera crapped out. When I asked her what camera she wanted to replace it, her eminently sensible answer was immediate: "One that can use your [Nikon] lenses."

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements