cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help With First Ever Camera Purchase

cciga
Contributor

Hello everyone, I am looking into getting my first ever camera and was hoping to get a suggestion or two. I want to be able to use it in low light conditions like star gazing if possible but the main reason would be to use on vacation, sight seeing. I personally found the DxO One which for the price of $500 not sure if the size would outweigh the specs of the camera for that price. I also was suggested the Sony A6000, $550. 

I was hoping to get some suggestions for a first time buy at or around the same price range as the two cameras as above from Canon. 

Thank you for your help!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@cciga wrote:

Hello everyone, I am looking into getting my first ever camera and was hoping to get a suggestion or two. I want to be able to use it in low light conditions like star gazing if possible but the main reason would be to use on vacation, sight seeing. I personally found the DxO One which for the price of $500 not sure if the size would outweigh the specs of the camera for that price. I also was suggested the Sony A6000, $550. 

I was hoping to get some suggestions for a first time buy at or around the same price range as the two cameras as above from Canon. 

Thank you for your help!

My personal opinion it the DxO One is an overpriced gimmicky point and shoot camera. 

On the Canon side I would consider the PowerShot G7 X Refurbished ($449.99) direct from Canon with one year warranty.

As far as the Sony A6000 this is where Canon becomes the clearly better choice. When it comes to interchangeable lens cameras, Canon has the best lens value out there. Canon's STM lenses offer outstanding image quality, at an unbeatable price.

The EOS Rebel SL1 with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens Kit Black Refurbished ($329.99) direct from Canon with one year warranty.

The SL1 received DPReviews Gold Award and was selected as their 'Camera of the Year'.

View solution in original post

12 REPLIES 12

TTMartin
Authority
Authority

@cciga wrote:

Thank you for your help!

My personal opinion it the DxO One is an overpriced gimmicky point and shoot camera. 

On the Canon side I would consider the PowerShot G7 X Refurbished ($449.99) direct from Canon with one year warranty.

As far as the Sony A6000 this is where Canon becomes the clearly better choice. When it comes to interchangeable lens cameras, Canon has the best lens value out there. Canon's STM lenses offer outstanding image quality, at an unbeatable price.

The EOS Rebel SL1 with EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Lens Kit Black Refurbished ($329.99) direct from Canon with one year warranty.

The SL1 received DPReviews Gold Award and was selected as their 'Camera of the Year'.

Thank you for your help! The DxO definitely would not be my first choice unless I really wanted something super portable. I did actually find that SL1 and was very interested in it. I know this is a Canon forum but is there an equivalent to that from Nikon or Sony? Just to compare

@cciga wrote:
Thank you for your help! The DxO definitely would not be my first choice unless I really wanted something super portable. I did actually find that SL1 and was very interested in it. I know this is a Canon forum but is there an equivalent to that from Nikon or Sony? Just to compare

Nothing from Nikon or Sony can compare to the value of the SL1 refurbished direct from Canon. That is simply an amazing deal. The EF-S 18-55 IS STM lens alone is worth $250. And despite being a 'kit' lens, it has outstanding image quality. The combination of the two offers a lightweight relatively compact system, that opens you up to the entire Canon EF and EF-S lens line. As I mentioned all the STM lenses offer superior image quality for the money. So when you decide you want to add a ultra-wide angle lens, or a telephoto zoom, your savings just keep adding up with Canon.

Thank you so much! Just my last question would be, the Sl1 is a good low level light camera for entry level right? Also I did some digging the past few minutes. I do understand the value is a lot better for the SL1 but a few reviews show the D3300 from Nikon is better in specs? Can I ask what do you think of the D3300 compared to the SL1? Or is it not even worth the headache of googling? Again thanks for your help

The review that said it was better - http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-SL1-vs-Nikon-D3300/detailed

@cciga wrote:

Thank you so much! Just my last question would be, the Sl1 is a good low level light camera for entry level right? Also I did some digging the past few minutes. I do understand the value is a lot better for the SL1 but a few reviews show the D3300 from Nikon is better in specs? Can I ask what do you think of the D3300 compared to the SL1? Or is it not even worth the headache of googling? Again thanks for your help

The review that said it was better - http://snapsort.com/compare/Canon-Rebel-SL1-vs-Nikon-D3300/detailed

Snapsort compares factors that really aren't all that important. Once you have more than 12 megapixels (after cropping) megapixels are a meaningless marketing number. Also for low light you will be using higher ISOs. Canon has always excelled at high ISO's. Snapsort also uses scores from a testing site that uses their own software to convert the RAW files. Sony and Nikon have some processing 'baked' into their RAW files, that make them perform better on those tests. When the same preprocessing that is 'baked' into the other cameras RAW files is done to the Canon RAW files, there is little to no discernible difference between the image quality and performance of the cameras. 

I started as a Nikon digital shooter and am now firmly and happily a Canon shooter. I also use to be a big Sony fan for other consumer electronics. In my opinion and experience Sony has issues with product support and corporate resposibility, so I wouldn't even consider buying a high end camera from them. 

Awesome, thanks so much for your help. The SL1 it is then. Thank you!

I think you'll be happy with this for a first camera.  I was going to suggest a newer but more entry level T6, but then I compared specs and the SL1 is just better. 

I encourage you to get started right by understanding the simple but central concept of photography: exposure, and the "exposure triangle".  This is pretty painless really. There are dozens and dozens of free tutorials on the triangle. Most are just 5  to 10 minutes long. Just look on Google Videos or You Tube, etc.  watch about 3 of them, to get it from a few different presenters to be sure it is clear.

Congratulations and good luck!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

@ScottyP wrote:

I think you'll be happy with this for a first camera.  I was going to suggest a newer but more entry level T6, but then I compared specs and the SL1 is just better. 

I encourage you to get started right by understanding the simple but central concept of photography: exposure, and the "exposure triangle".  This is pretty painless really. There are dozens and dozens of free tutorials on the triangle. Most are just 5  to 10 minutes long. Just look on Google Videos or You Tube, etc.  watch about 3 of them, to get it from a few different presenters to be sure it is clear.

Thank you! Once I buy it I will defintely take a look into that. Anything else simple I could study up on?

@cciga wrote:

@ScottyP wrote:

Thank you! Once I buy it I will defintely take a look into that. Anything else simple I could study up on?

There is a book by Bryan Petersen called "Understanding Exposure".  It is in most bookstores.  It is mostly photos, and it is not a dense technical read; once you've watched a few of the exposure triangle tutorial videos you will know exactly what is going on.  He explains how the art and the personal expression come into the thing; there will usually be about 6 "correct" exposures, but you as the artist choose which of them is the "right" exposure for what you want the shot to look like.  I remember that this book made that point in my head in a way nothing I had seen previously had.  Great book.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements