Canon Community Canon Community

VIP

Re: HELP WITH PICKING A CAMERA FOR PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY

Work?  I changed the spelling a bit to suit my needs, I now spell it like this, p-l-a-y.  Smiley Happy

"Does this mean we agree?"  It does if you admit the same photo can be made with either format camera if the right lens is selected.  That is my main most point.  Whether you adjust the f-ratio or you move your feet.  The exact same DOF can be possible, actually no matter which camera format you use.  Physical limits of manufacture, of course apply.

Consider a person, new to photography, doesn't own or have any desire to own a FF DSLR.  They have no interest or need to know what 1.6x is.  They simply need to know how their camera operates and functions with their lens(s).

IMHO, crop factor is a term that should have never been created. Especially since 'crop sensor' cameras crop nothing.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: HELP WITH PICKING A CAMERA FOR PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It does if you admit the same photo can be made with either format camera if the right lens is selected.  That is my main most point.  Whether you adjust the f-ratio or you move your feet.  The exact same DOF can be possible, actually no matter which camera format you use.  Physical limits of manufacture, of course apply.

I think your point is the whole point of the debate.  It is not always possible to adjust the f/stop or move further back to get the same shot.  The “physical limits of manufacture” that you cite could be described is the whole point.  

The full frame sensor is going to be more flexible when it comes depth of field.  I do not think many portrait photographers are trying to use a full frame with an aperture setting of f/8 to shoot portraits.

The 6D is currently on a fire sale at the Canon Online Refurbished store, as is the 6D2, and 5D3.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."