cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HELP WITH PICKING A CAMERA FOR PORTRAIT PHOTOGRAPHY

LucyG
Contributor

Hello, I need help with picking a camera. After days of research I narrowed down to 3 cameras : Canon full frame 6D, Canon 80D and Canon Rebel t6s.

I would like to start a photogrpahy busniess in Florida. Obviously, low light conditions are not the case as I would shoot using natural light that here has plenty. I would mainly shoot families and kids.

I read that the body is not as important as the lens you use but I also don't want to buy a mediocre equipment but neither break the bank as I am an amateur. I did a photography course long ago and I read a lot trying to educate myself about the best settings to each situation. I've been also a photo enthusiast most of my life mainly for landscapes. But I still have lots to learn. It is hard to say what my budget Is. I can afford the $999 that cost the first two cameras but I wonder if it is wise for the begginingto spend that much to see if this business will work out. I read Canon 80D is super fast and provide crisp high quality pics. In the other hand I read that full frame is a must for portrait photography but the 6D seems the only point in favor is the fact of being full frame but lacks on many features of the 80D and even the T6.

If I buy one of the more expensive ones I want to not spend too much in the lens but the basic in portrait lens : a 50mm or 85mm prime lens, one for full body and above shoulder shots and one good to capture more environmental portrait photos. If anybody can recommend the lens too I would be so grateful ! I love the photos with a lot of blur at the background.

Anyway, PLEASE, need help : CANON 6D, CANON 80 D or CANON T6 ? Thanks !

28 REPLIES 28

@Waddizzle wrote:
The 6D is currently on a fire sale at the Canon Online Refurbished store, as is the 6D2, and 5D3.

I noticed that too, though most of the camera bodies you mentioned are now sold out. With the inevitible transition to mirrorless picking up steam, they are probably trying to clear out their stock of outdated tech. 

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:
The 6D is currently on a fire sale at the Canon Online Refurbished store, as is the 6D2, and 5D3.

I noticed that too, though most of the camera bodies you mentioned are now sold out. With the inevitible transition to mirrorless picking up steam, they are probably trying to clear out their stock of outdated tech. 

Canon clearly considers the 6D and the 5D3 to be obsolete equipment, so the fact that they're unloading them is no surprise. That the 6D2 is on the list is interesting, though. It suggests that those who might have bought the 6D2 are the specific target of the new full-frame mirrorless camera. And that makes sense. Pros, semi-pros, and even very serious amateurs are unlikely to buy the mirrorless until it has proven itself, while those just escalating to FF may be more open to innovation.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Pros, semi-pros, and even very serious amateurs are unlikely to buy the mirrorless until it has proven itself, while those just escalating to FF may be more open to innovation."

You bet and why the first truly great or even usable mirrorless is not a 1 series.  A 6 series replacement is where it belongs.

I don't need solutions to problems I don't have.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

“It suggests that those who might have bought the 6D2 are the specific target of the new full-frame mirrorless camera. And that makes sense.”

Sorry, I do not follow the connection.  Too many missing dots to connect with that conclusion.  The 6D2 is more than a full frame 80D.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@John_SD wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

That was then.  It was graduation season.  I do not expect another round of deep discounts until the holiday season approaches..

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"To start with avoid any primes."

That stands!   But with an 80D another option might be the very good Canon EF 50mm f/1.8 STM Lens. That will give the OP that 85mm FL look.  Not movie projector stationary.  Might require the OP to move further in or out, though.

EB

John_SD
Whiz

@LucyG wrote:

Hello, I need help with picking a camera. After days of research I narrowed down to 3 cameras : Canon full frame 6D, Canon 80D and Canon Rebel t6s. I would like to start a photogrpahy busniess in Florida...I read that the body is not as important as the lens...I can afford the $999 that cost the first two cameras but I wonder if it is wise for the begginingto spend that much to see if this business will work out.

Anyway, PLEASE, need help : CANON 6D, CANON 80 D or CANON T6 ? Thanks !

OK, a couple of thoughts, which you may not like. For starters, I'd put the"photography business in Florida" on hold -- indefinitely. Think in terms of learning as much about DSLR photography as you can. The photography business seems to be a tough one to break in to and make a go of today, even for people who are deeply knowledgable and highly skilled. The nature of your questions reveal a lack of skill and knowledge that can only hamper you. So devote yourself to learning, without the headaches of trying to start a business that you might not be ready for. I feel that I still learn something everytime I shoot and review my images. 

As for the camera, I would go with the 6D Mark II. I just checked the Canon site, and the body is on sale for $1599 ($400 off) and they are including a free grip. I might jump on that deal myself. Good luck with whatever you choose to do. 

vander
Contributor

My friend uses Canon 80D and it seems working great. His works appear seemless and he became more enthusiastic in photography.

"My friend uses Canon 80D and it seems working great."

Absolutely, don't fall for the inner web hype.

EB
Announcements