cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Grid lines

John_SD
Whiz

Do most of you guys have your grid lines turned on, or use a grid focusing screen of some kind? On the older Canons what did you do to get your shots lined up properly? I don't mean imagining the rule of thirds, either. I mean getting a level photo, or did you just fix it in post as best you could? I ask because I myself always have the grid turned on, but sometimes if I am trying to shoot something on the move, the grid doesn't really help me that much. Yet some guys seem to have a talent for getting very level shots. 

2 REPLIES 2

@John_SD wrote:

Do most of you guys have your grid lines turned on, or use a grid focusing screen of some kind?

I do.

On the older Canons what did you do to get your shots lined up properly?

Just winged it as best I coude. My Nikon film cameras let me replace the focusing screen with one with grid lines, but that disappeared with all but the most expensive cameras, once autofocus took over.

I don't mean imagining the rule of thirds, either. I mean getting a level photo, or did you just fix it in post as best you could?

<chuckle!> That was quite a problem, because the early versions of DPP didn't have rotational correction.

I ask because I myself always have the grid turned on, but sometimes if I am trying to shoot something on the move, the grid doesn't really help me that much. Yet some guys seem to have a talent for getting very level shots.

It's just practice and lots of paying attention. I err in one direction; my wife errs in the other. I wish we could just average it, but I guess that's not in the cards. 

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I leave them on 100% of the time.  But I leave perfect alignment to PS.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements