cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From T2i to ?

richardp
Contributor

Hi experts.  I need your help as i'm completly confused about the current Canon ( and non-Canon ) product line.

I'm an occasional, and amateur, photographer.

I currently have a T2i with the following lenses :

- EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM 

- EF-S 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Although far from being an expert, I typically use the T2i in Manual mode.

In general, I'm satisfied with it but do find that using it at ISO above 400 is somewhat granular.  Dont know if it's because of the camera, the lenses or the photographer though.  

I'll be giving the T2I body to my son so I need a replacement.  I'm not looking for a specialized camera.  I'm looking more for a general purpose camera (still and video), offering better results than the T2I.

As for current features I see in some newer cameras that interest me :

- audio port

- WiFi

- better ISO support

- in camera timelapse video

- touch screen

- using my old EF-S lenses would be nice as well.

Price limit.  1000$.

As for lenses, what could be a good general purpose lens to start off with that would be 1 notch better that the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

Thanks, Richard

28 REPLIES 28

@richardp wrote:
I guess the T2I served it's purpose then. It allowed me to learn how to use a DSLR camera. Youtube'd a couple of 80D tutorials last night and see that the 80D is similar to the T2i, user navigation wise. So the learning curve should not be too steep. So maybe it's time to move up to a higher grade. Darn, will have to re-visit my 1k$ limit.

If you need a new camera body because you passed it down, then buy a good camera body.  Never buy something that is less than what you want, because you will never be fully satisfied with it ... and most folks wind up buying what they really wanted at some point down the road, anyway.  This is most especially true for lenses.  Only buy the lens that you really want, not the one that you can afford right now.  Save up, and buy later, is what's best.

I think the single biggest improvement one can make to the quality of their pictures is investing in a high quality lens.  The difference that good glass can make in your photos is remarkable.  Your pictures will never be better than the glass you use to take your pictures.  Camera kit lenses that were being supplied when your T2i was new were not very good, and neither are the lenses they supply with Rebels today.  Although, the EF-S 18-55mm IS STM is pretty good, but still not on the same level with "L" series lenses.

After a high quality lens, I think the next single biggest improvement that one can make is to learn how to use post processing software effectively.  You can correct for lens distortions, lens vignetting, and many other adjustments.  Canon offers their DPP, Digital Photo Professional, software with their DSLRs.  It works fairly well.  But, I think investing in Adobe Lightroom [stand alone version] is an excellent way to improve your photos, and FAR less expensive than buying a high quality lens.

You will not see any significant improvement in image quality by buying a new camera body, not unless your camera body upgrade represents technological improvements on multiple fronts.  Look for a wider ISO range.  A higher frame rate when continuous shooting suggests a faster focusing system, which will likely be more acccurate, to boot.  Look at the AF points, and how the AF system works.  If video is important, look for an external mic input.  Look at how well the body is constructed.

Lastly, buy a new camera bag, one with enough room to hold all of your gear, plus room fro 2-3 more lenses.  You might use the extra room for a flash, or a lens cleaning kit.  This large bag will be your "kit".  Then buy a smaller carry around bag, one just big enough carry the camera with a mounted lens, and maybe even room for a spare lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Your solution is simple.  The $1000 price limit is not.

This is what you want, Canon EOS Rebel T6i DSLR Camera (Body Only). Add this lens, Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  This is a fantastic combo.  Nothing in the Canon line will beat it by much if any.  But it will cost around $1500.

I might point out the kit price of the Rebel T6i and the body alone price is not much different.  You may want to get the kit and give that lens to your son also.  A newer lens is likely better than you old one is.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

A different opinion ; thanks. So T6I vs 80D. Oh man, more choices. Now you know why i'm so confused ;-0 They seem comparable ; but with a few hundred $ difference.

Basically the main difference between the T6i and the 80D is build.  Personally I would rather have the 80D but you did set a price limit.  I already could not meet.  Suggesting the 80D would miss it by another $200-$250 or so.

The main point for you to consider is the lens anyway.  Which ever camera you choose make sure the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is mounted on it.  The lens is what will make the biggest difference for you.  This is a very good lens with a constant aperture, its best spec, besides being a f2.8.

EB

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Basically the main difference between the T6i and the 80D is build.  Personally I would rather have the 80D but you did set a price limit.  I already could not meet.  Suggesting the 80D would miss it by another $200-$250 or so.

The main point for you to consider is the lens anyway.  Which ever camera you choose make sure the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens is mounted on it.  The lens is what will make the biggest difference for you.  This is a very good lens with a constant aperture, its best spec, besides being a f2.8.

Agreed. The lens is more critical than the body, and besides the T6i is really a capable camera. The 17-55 f/2.8 lens has a brighter aperture and will help you avoid cranking the ISO up in the first place.  

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

The Canon 80D has every feature you want ..."

"... it is the least expensive camera in the line-up that has every feature you want.  It is $1099.  That's the "body only" price that assumes you'll continue to use your existing lenses (although you might actually want an STM lens ..."

"... if you can increase your budget by $99, ... I would because the 80D is a big generation leap in the sensor."

I agree with Tim.  The EOS 80D is the choice but the lens is not.  Your decision is whether you want the features offered by the camera or get the much better Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens with the T6i.  Of course the ultimate is the 80D and the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens.  But that, my friend, shatters the $1000 severely.

90% of the time, the T6i with the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens will equal or best an 80D and you old T2i lens.

IMHO, I would prefer the EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM Lens and keeping the T2i, if $1000 is a strict limit.  If you buy the lens first, you may find you are perfectly happy.

EB

You guys are great.  What input i'm getting. Awesome !

So it seems unanimous.  You all love the  EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM and suggest it strongly.

I actually find my EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM very good.  When I initially bought my T2I, the kit lens it had was pretty basic.  Dont remember what it was but I gave it to my daughter and got the 15-85.

Any idea of what type of improvements i'll get with the new lens ?  It's a 1k$ lens ; my expectation will be high.  How would it match up to my  EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.  

To my son's dismay, maybe I'll keep my T2I for another year or so and just go with a new lens.

Decisions, decisions, ...

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

@richardp wrote:

As for current features I see in some newer cameras that interest me :

- audio port

- WiFi

- better ISO support

- in camera timelapse video

- touch screen

- using my old EF-S lenses would be nice as well.

Price limit.  1000$.

The Canon 80D has every feature you want (in camera time-lapse as well as in-camera movie, touch-screen, wi-fi, audio port, etc. it's all there.)

BUT ... it is the least expensive camera in the line-up that has every feature you want.  It is $1099.  That's the "body only" price that assumes you'll continue to use your existing lenses (although you might actually want an STM lens if you plan to do video due to the smoother and exceptionally quiet focusing motor).

So if you can increase your budget by $99, you're there (and I would because the 80D is a big generation leap in the sensor.)

You can do most of what you want with a 70D, but not everything.  The 70D "body only" price is $899.  You can get external dongles that will let you control things like time-lapse photography (you can even get dongles that pair to your phone so your phone handles the time-lapse intervals.)  The downside of the external tool isn't just that the dongle is external, it also means you'll need to feed all those individual camera frames into software to generate the time-lapse movie (lots of available programs can do that.  There's a Lightroom plugin called LRTimeLapse that does it) if you use Adobe Lightroom.   So you can save a couple hundred dollars by going with a 70D to get "most" but not "all" of what you want if you're ok with a little out-of-camera accessories and software.  (the 80D has it all built in).

There's also the T6i which also has the touch-screen and wi-fi and it's even less than the 70D.  But again... you'll need to supplement with external accessories and software in the computer to make up for the features that aren't built into the camera.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Buying an 80D from the Canon Refurbished Store is your best path to get ALL of the features you listed.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Yeah, i've been looking.
Current price for an 80D ( refurb ) body only : 899$.
Current price for the 17-55 lens : 829.99. No Refurbs currently in stock.

Announcements