cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

From T2i to ?

richardp
Contributor

Hi experts.  I need your help as i'm completly confused about the current Canon ( and non-Canon ) product line.

I'm an occasional, and amateur, photographer.

I currently have a T2i with the following lenses :

- EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM 

- EF-S 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

Although far from being an expert, I typically use the T2i in Manual mode.

In general, I'm satisfied with it but do find that using it at ISO above 400 is somewhat granular.  Dont know if it's because of the camera, the lenses or the photographer though.  

I'll be giving the T2I body to my son so I need a replacement.  I'm not looking for a specialized camera.  I'm looking more for a general purpose camera (still and video), offering better results than the T2I.

As for current features I see in some newer cameras that interest me :

- audio port

- WiFi

- better ISO support

- in camera timelapse video

- touch screen

- using my old EF-S lenses would be nice as well.

Price limit.  1000$.

As for lenses, what could be a good general purpose lens to start off with that would be 1 notch better that the EF-S 15-85mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM.

Thanks, Richard

28 REPLIES 28

ScottyP
Authority

Hi,

I feel your pain on noise and grain at ISO above 400. I had a crop camera (T3i) with the same sensor and I found that really limiting.

You can go for a full frame camera, which will pick you up a stop and a half or two. That would require all new lenses of course since EF-s won't mount on FF.  The 6d would be the least expensive modern full frame and it does very well in low light. 

Or, pick up from 1/2 a stop to maybe a full stop in high ISO image quality going to an 80d, which is still a crop sensor. 

You can also tackle the problem with brighter lenses. The EF-s 17-55 f/2.8 is a great lens for crop.  You would do well to also add in a bright prime.  An EF 50mm f/1.4 is only about $300 and it would let you shoot in quite dim conditions.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

thanks Scott. the lens compatibility issue is a bit concerning. thanks for your hints. So the 80d would support my EF-S lenses but not the 6D ( crop vs full frame ). Oh man, more research 😞

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"In general, I'm satisfied with it but do find that using it at ISO above 400 is somewhat granular.  Dont know if it's because of the camera, the lenses or the photographer though."

One of the least expensive fixes for noise is Adobe Lightroom, which is basically Canon's DPP software on steroids.  You can remove significant amounts of noise in post.  I used a freeware application, Paint Dot Net, to create the image below.

IMG_0079.Edit.JPG

Here's a 100% crop of the before and after.

IMG_0079.Edit.jpg

IMG_0079.jpg

I keep hearing this voice in my head saying that great photos are mode in post.  I think that voice has a valid point.  This shot was taken with an EOS M3 and the EF 40mm f/2.8 STM pancake lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

"Here's a 100% crop of the before and after."

wow.  that is impressive.  i dont use any post software as of now.  probably will have to at 1 point.  all of that with just 'Paint Dot Net' ?

ps: by the way, gorgeous kid !

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

"I'll be giving the T2I body to my son so I need a replacement.  I'm not looking for a specialized camera.  I'm looking more for a general purpose camera (still and video), offering better results than the T2I.

As for current features I see in some newer cameras that interest me :

- audio port

- WiFi

- better ISO support

- in camera timelapse video

- touch screen

- using my old EF-S lenses would be nice as well.

Price limit.  1000$."

You ain't getting all of that for under your budget.  Pick a couple specifications from your list, and you can come up with a camera body.  If you want a high quality lens, well, that can be pretty pricey, too.  Your photos will never be better than the quality of your lenses.

https://shop.usa.canon.com/shop/en/catalog/cameras/refurbished-eos-digital-slr-cameras 

That is the link to the Canon Online Refurbished Store, the best place where you can find deals and steals on Canon DSLRs.  Canon sells their refurb gear with the same one year warranty as their "new" cameras.  If you wish to "upgrade" from your T2i, then I suggest that you leave the Canon Rebel line behind you. 

Look at the recently discontinued 70D, or the recently announced 80D.  Both of which offer a few professional grade features that Rebels do not have.  One of them is AFMA, Auto Focus Micro Adjustment, which allows you to tune and calibrate a camera lens to your camera body for perfect focus.

hmmmm refurnished, with a 1 year warranty. interesting. didn't think about that. so the Rebel series is low grade and the next level up would be the 70 or 80D ?

@richardp wrote:
wow.  that is impressive.  i dont use any post software as of now.  probably will have to at 1 point.  all of that with just 'Paint Dot Net' ?

ps: by the way, gorgeous kid

hmmmm refurnished, with a 1 year warranty. interesting. didn't think about that. so the Rebel series is low grade and the next level up would be the 70 or 80D ?

Yup, I used PDN to create the B&W background and noise reduction.  I used LR to create the JPEG for PDN.  The original shot was shot in manual mode with Auto ISO, which the camera had set to ISO 1250.  I didn't use PS to create the B&W background only because I used a PC that doesn't have PS installed on it. 

The Rebel series of cameras are designed for beginners and people who want a high performance "Point & Shoot" camera with interchangeable lenses.  Rebels are also aimed at those who are on a budget.  They can take great pictures.  Make no mistake about that.  Even the least expensive cars can move you around in air-conditioned comfort.

But, Rebels lack some of the most desired professional features.  I mentioned AFMA.  Another feature in the 80D is a built-in electronic level.  There's more, and too many to mention here.  The Auto Focus systems in the 70D and 80D are much faster and more accurate than Rebels.  The 80D boasts 45 AF points, which is ideal for shooting in AI Servo mode and tracking moving subjects. 

BTW, thanks.  I think the kid is pretty cute, too.

I guess the T2I served it's purpose then. It allowed me to learn how to use a DSLR camera. Youtube'd a couple of 80D tutorials last night and see that the 80D is similar to the T2i, user navigation wise. So the learning curve should not be too steep. So maybe it's time to move up to a higher grade. Darn, will have to re-visit my 1k$ limit.

@richardp wrote:
I guess the T2I served it's purpose then. It allowed me to learn how to use a DSLR camera. Youtube'd a couple of 80D tutorials last night and see that the 80D is similar to the T2i, user navigation wise. So the learning curve should not be too steep. So maybe it's time to move up to a higher grade. Darn, will have to re-visit my 1k$ limit.

My wife used a T2i for several years, and I still think it's one of the best cameras Canon ever made. But new features start to pile up, so a year ago I upgraded her to a 7D Mk II (with some reluctance on her part, because the 7D2 is a much heavier camera). You're right that Canon does a pretty good job of maintaining an ergonomic consistency across its DSLR product line, so she had no trouble adapting. Last summer we were out on Narraganset Bay in my cousin's sailboat. We'd been sitting next to each other; and after I got up to take the wheel, she accidentally picked up my 5D Mk III and used it for an hour or so without noticing her mistake.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA
Announcements