cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europe trip; bring DSLR or buy small camera?

ScottyP
Authority

We will be going to Europe and I am probably going to take the DSLR and 2 or 3 lenses.  I am also considering buying a small but good non-interchangeable lens camera.  Something with a big-ish sensor and with a big aperture lens, though, not just a cheapo.

Since lens compatibility is not an issue, I am not limiting myself to Canons as I go to look into this possibility.

I am not particularly worried about the weight and bulk of the DSLR, more worried about theft, I think.  Perhaps I should worry about the bulk, but I do want to get really high quality photos because I probably won't be going back any time soon so this is kind of a big deal.

Thoughts on lenses, backpacks and small cameras?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
22 REPLIES 22

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

Usually two 1 series cameras go with me everywhere I go.  I have a basic bag with the ef 16-35mm f2.8L, ef 24-70mm f2.8L and ef 70-200mm f2.8L.  My extended bag for warranted use adds and includes the ef 8-15mm f4L and Sigma 150-600mm f5-6.3 Sport.

If I headed for Europe tomorrow this gear would be going with me.  I have a shoot in Lawence, Kansas on Thursday and this gear will be going with me.

However, on-the-other-hand I do have and rely on a G1x. Smiley Happy  This and the newer G1x II are great little, not so little, cameras.  They are capable of very nice shots.  It goes with me, too.

I love some of my unique primes but for a journey like Europe, they are too specialized if you do not know exactly what you will be shooting.  One example would be the ef 400mm f5.6L.  Fantastic lens, has no peer.  Another is my ef 50mm f1.2L but not for Europe unless I know of a particular shot I want to get.

BTW, the G1x II may not be the best P&S on the market today but it is the best Canon P&S.   G1x Mk II

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

ScottyP
Authority

Now looking at f/2.8 WA lenses.  Contenders are Canon 16-35 2.8 III, which is reviewed glowingly, and the Tamron 15-35 2.8 IS.  I don't think I want to go with the f/4 IS Canon, though it is a good one.

Tamron has IS and is $700 or $800 less and gets nearly but not quite the same praise.  

On the other hand I shoot most of my shots with my kids in the frame, so getting the 4 stops below 1/16th the IS gives would be of limited use.  While it would be nice to get a handheld 1 second exsposure, that would obviously be a throw-away shot since the kids would be just a blur.

Comparing test charts the Canon does have the slight but significant IQ edge, except for vignetting.  Also, I'd hate to spend $1,200 on a lens and then maybe always kind of regret not pitching in $700 more and having "the best" IQ.  Of lesser concern, the Tammy has a weird lens cover and can't take filters, both due to the bulbous front element.

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

There is nothing wrong with the EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM, or the f/4 version for that matter.  I don't shoot wide open with it outdoors much, anyway, just indoors.  Picked up mine when I noticed that it was on sale at the refurbished store.  It is a great lens wide open.  Between that lens on one body, and the 70-200 f/2.8 II on another, that is mostly what I shoot.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements