cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Europe trip; bring DSLR or buy small camera?

ScottyP
Authority

We will be going to Europe and I am probably going to take the DSLR and 2 or 3 lenses.  I am also considering buying a small but good non-interchangeable lens camera.  Something with a big-ish sensor and with a big aperture lens, though, not just a cheapo.

Since lens compatibility is not an issue, I am not limiting myself to Canons as I go to look into this possibility.

I am not particularly worried about the weight and bulk of the DSLR, more worried about theft, I think.  Perhaps I should worry about the bulk, but I do want to get really high quality photos because I probably won't be going back any time soon so this is kind of a big deal.

Thoughts on lenses, backpacks and small cameras?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?
22 REPLIES 22

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

What 2-3 lenses were you considering?  Sounds like you want to be prepared for anything.

What sort of stuff do you expect to photograph?  You cannot go wrong with a wide, or ultra-wide, angle lens.  

The Powershot G Series seem to be pretty good, although P&S cameras are not for me.  I think P&S cameras are expensive disposables.  If I ever buy another one, it will be an inexpensive one.

I have two setups I use so that I don't look like Joe the Pro Photographer.  I use my T5 with a Rokinon 14mm, although the EF-S 18-55mm STM has come out since I bought that combo.  The fully manual lens gives me long battery life.  My second small setup is an EOS M3 with an adapter and a pancake lens.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I was thinking of taking the 6d with the 35 Art and the 70-200.  Maybe take the 24-105L for daytime trips.  

I look at the Fuji and Sony  and Canon top end point and shoots,  some of which have APS-c sensors and think...hmmmmm....  

Really though, I am probably going to go ahead and carry the DSLR and lenses. 

Trip is Switzerland, Italy, France and Spain.  Subjects will as always be mostly my 3 girls but with the expensive scenery ad a backdrop. 

Im in a dangerous spending mood, having just pressed the BUY button in the airfare and hotels. Perhaps I should not be trusted with lens decisions now, but for purposes of this trip,do I need a wide angle lens?  Should I take a tripod for low light instead?

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

@ScottyP wrote:

I was thinking of taking the 6d with the 35 Art and the 70-200.  Maybe take the 24-105L for daytime trips.  

I look at the Fuji and Sony  and Canon top end point and shoots,  some of which have APS-c sensors and think...hmmmmm....  

Really though, I am probably going to go ahead and carry the DSLR and lenses. 

Trip is Switzerland, Italy, France and Spain.  Subjects will as always be mostly my 3 girls but with the expensive scenery ad a backdrop. 

Im in a dangerous spending mood, having just pressed the BUY button in the airfare and hotels. Perhaps I should not be trusted with lens decisions now, but for purposes of this trip,do I need a wide angle lens?  Should I take a tripod for low light instead?

I don't see what the 35 Art does for you if you have the 24-105. I'd bring a 16-35 instead. If you have to buy it, the price is more or less roundoff error in a trip that takes four or five people through four countries.

Many tourist venues are hostile to tripods; and if you're in a group tour, you might rarely have time to set it up. I'd leave it at home.

In your shoes, the only "top end point and shoot" I'd consider is the new Canon mirrorless with the built-in viewfinder. But really, I think I'd stick to DSLRs.

I'm well past the point at which air travel is virtually impossible because of the camera equipment I insist on bringing along. Keep that in mind if you're tempted to take any of my advice.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

I agree with Bob about the 35mm lens.  The standard range zoom 24-105 should be sufficient, not unless you want the wide aperture.  I would take one or the other, but not both. 

I'm a ultra-wide angle lens nutjob, so when I tell you that 24-35mm isn't wide, then take it with a grain of salt.  I love my EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM.  I always have it mounted when I'm sightseeing and do not know what to expect.  I think Bob's suggestion on the lens is a good one.  I'd never disagree with carrying that lens, anyway.

The shot below was taken at 16-35mm with a 1D Mark IV.

CT7D0132.jpg

The 70-200 is a big, heavy beast when it comes to air travel.  I rarely fly, but I left it at home during the one domestic trip I took since I bought it.  I took my 16-35 f/2.8L, 50mm f/1.8, 100 f/2.8L Macro.  If I had a flash, I would have brought that and left the macro behind, because I expected most of my shots would be taken indoors at private homes.  I now have a flash for the 6D.

As it turned out, I used the 50mm for nearly all of my indoor shots of family and friends.  I used the 16-35mm for all of my outdoor shots as i was sightseeing.  Never did use the 100mm macro, even though I could have for a couple of indoor closeups.  The 50mm was just fine for closeups indoors, and the 16-35mm worked well for taking in the entire rooms.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Scotty,

"I was thinking of taking the 6d with the 35 Art ..."

Don't let anybody kid you the Siggt 35mil Art is a seriously sharp lens.  It might just be the sharpest lens made.  If you want great IQ, take it.  It and the 50mil Art are in another class of high IQ lenses.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

Scotty,

"I was thinking of taking the 6d with the 35 Art ..."

Don't let anybody kid you the Siggt 35mil Art is a seriously sharp lens.  It might just be the sharpest lens made.  If you want great IQ, take it.  It and the 50mil Art are in another class of high IQ lenses.

I sure love mine. So sharp and it can practically see in the dark. Seems like there may be some dim indoor shots to grab over there. 

Scott

People that have never owned one have no idea.  Probably should hold their comments! Smiley Happy

I take a lot of heavy gear where ever I go but I also take a P&S.  Currently I have a G1X but there is a newer verison.  These are very capable cameras and they work where a full size DSLR won't.  I used to use a G15. I still have it.  But check out the G1x Mk II

It isn't the best P&S on the market but it is Canon's best.

EB

BTW, two things I would NOT take are flashes and a tripod.  Not even a monopod.

EB

"Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites"

What camera do you use that lens on?  It is the only lens you have I would consider taking.  Unless you want to use your 6D, than the ef 24-105mm F4L and the Siggy Art.

EB
Announcements