cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone sell stock photography?

ilzho
Rising Star

Hello:

I love my photography hobby, but it would be better to make a little extra cash on the side.

I do get paying gigs on the side from time to time which is nice.

I always read these articles about people making good money by selling stock photos.

I read/believe these article with a big grain of salt.

Does anyone on here sell stock photos?

Does it generate nice passive income?

Any advice?

Thanks for the advice.

Cheers,

David

6 REPLIES 6

FiveseveN
Contributor

I just started to, and made enough so far to buy a candy bar and a soda 😉

Whether or not you make money on stock photography depends on a lot of variables. What you shoot and the quality, cutsomer demand, titles and keywords you assign to uploads, what sites you upload to, how many sites you upload to, how many images you upload, etc.

That said, even if you don't sell much, you can learn a ton from your 'competition' both in the forums for stock sites, and just going through similar images after you upload.

Some peole do make a lot of money, but chances are they have THOUSANDS of photos uploaded. The rest of us get a trickle now and then. It depends on what you want to get out of it. Cat Wink

I joined Alamy and are uploading pictures there and this is the only stock site I am presently using.

It's a fun hobby and if someone else likes my photo for their use and I get a little pocket change from it, that's cool as well.

@FiveseveN wrote:

"I just started to, and made enough so far to buy a candy bar and a soda ;)"

LOL. I believe that places you in the upper echelon. 🙂

"Some peole do make a lot of money, but chances are they have THOUSANDS of photos uploaded."

Thousands of uploads? I don't think that would be nearly enough. I wonder what percentage of those thousands result in "sales." I've never put much "stock" in most stock photographers outlandsish claims that they earn substantial incomes from this. In fact, I generally put them in the same category as guys or gals who post ads claiming they made $39,000 last week "helping" people on the Internet..."and you can do it, too! Just send $29.99 to blah blah blah for your starter packet!" LOL. 

All kidding aside, you seem to have a realistic view of the "profession" of stock photography. Good luck and enjoy the hobby. 

@John_SD wrote:

@FiveseveN wrote:

"I just started to, and made enough so far to buy a candy bar and a soda ;)"

LOL. I believe that places you in the upper echelon. 🙂

"Some peole do make a lot of money, but chances are they have THOUSANDS of photos uploaded."

Thousands of uploads? I don't think that would be nearly enough. I wonder what percentage of those thousands result in "sales." I've never put much "stock" in most stock photographers outlandsish claims that they earn substantial incomes from this. In fact, I generally put them in the same category as guys or gals who post ads claiming they made $39,000 last week "helping" people on the Internet..."and you can do it, too! Just send $29.99 to blah blah blah for your starter packet!" LOL. 

I know of a couple of people who do have thousands of photos for sale...not sure if one can do this full time though. I doubt it unless one specializes in doing this and nothing else.

I am taking pictures as a hobby on things I like and not concentrating on the type of photos that will sell.  I currently have about 50 pictures on Getty Images and I make an average of $500 a year...not enough for half a lens but oh well...I don't need to make a living off of photography, luckily.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

I am taking pictures as a hobby on things I like and not concentrating on the type of photos that will sell.  I currently have about 50 pictures on Getty Images and I make an average of $500 a year...not enough for half a lens but oh well...I don't need to make a living off of photography, luckily.

Five hundred bucks a year? Not bad, diverhank! 

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Any advice?"

Don't expect to put groceries on the table doing it.  Smiley Wink

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements