Canon Community Canon Community

New Contributor

Does Canon have a program where you can turn in an older camera and get credit towards a newer model

Does Canon have a program where you can turn in an older camera to get credit towards a newer model?  A colleague has a 15 yr. old Canon with multiple lenses but it still takes film and she can't get it developed anywhere.  She's looking to upgrade but they are too expensive.

Reputable Contributor

Re: Does Canon have a program where you can turn in an older camera and get credit towards a newer m

donnat817 wrote:

Does Canon have a program where you can turn in an older camera to get credit towards a newer model?  A colleague has a 15 yr. old Canon with multiple lenses but it still takes film and she can't get it developed anywhere.  She's looking to upgrade but they are too expensive.

Canon used to have a loyalty program that offered significant discount when you turn in an older and defective unit.  That has ended around March 2015... your best bet is to watch for the refurbished Canon site...sometimes they have really good discounts there.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Respected Contributor

Re: Does Canon have a program where you can turn in an older camera and get credit towards a newer m

[ Edited ]

Two things.

Walgreens and CVS still develop film.

Second if your friends film camera is an EOS film camera (which a 15  year old film camera should be), the lenses will work with any current canon EOS digital camera. 

VIP

Multiple inner net places develop film, also.

A lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
VIP

Further, film has a somewhat large following still.  Most if not all camera stores have film sections which are well stocked.  By camera store I mean a store that sells mostly cameras. Not stores like Best Buy but I believe Costco still does film or at least will send it off for you.

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

donnat817 wrote:

There are a number of reputable companies that deal in used camera gear (KEH, MPEX, Adorama, B&H to name a few).

A used Canon 40D sells for under $225 in EX condition. That camera will outperform any film camera your colleague may be using including pro film cameras like the EOS 1N. Considering the cost of developing film, your colleague really can't afford not to go digital. 

Honored Contributor

donnat817 wrote:

Where is she buying film?  Most places that sell film also have developing services.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."
Esteemed Contributor

ebiggs1 wrote:

Further, film has a somewhat large following still.  Most if not all camera stores have film sections which are well stocked.  By camera store I mean a store that sells mostly cameras. Not stores like Best Buy but I believe Costco still does film or at least will send it off for you.

"Somewhat large"?? Surely you jest. I admit that there's still a user community for film, but I'd have been inclined to use the term "minuscule".  Smiley Wink

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
VIP

Bobby you really need to get out more.  Staying couped up in the house after retirement is not good for you.  My local camera store has a 'somewhat large' fully stocked film section.  They offer full processing, too.  I still shoot film and have around two dozen rolls of Fuji on hand right now. It is what it once was, of course not, but that was not my intent with the descriptive term 'somewhat large' !

Respected Contributor

Enough for Kodak-lite to re-introduce ektachrome, not only film, but 35mm slides!