cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Do you support your local camera shop?

John_SD
Whiz

As a beginner, I have made my initial purchases both here on the Canon site and also from an online camera retailer. I have been pleased with both experiences. But, I also realize that unless people make some purchases at their local camera store, these entities may eventually go the way of brick-and-mortar bookstores. That would be a shame. So, I decided this weekend to go to a local, non-chain camera store here in San Diego, one that has been in business for more than 30 years. I purchased some camera cleaning supplies to get a feel for the place. While I likely paid a few dollars more for the supplies, I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the shop was very competitive on prices, gearwise. And the guys were pleasant to talk to and seemed low key. I appreciated that. 

I will likely buy from them again as I want to do my part to support a local, independent business. I'm curious what you guys think of the "state of the camera store" as it stands today? Do you make purchases from them now and then?

11 REPLIES 11

@ebiggs1 wrote:

It's worth something to have it in your hand first.  Smiley Happy

It is, but I think that value tends to be exaggerated. Once you learn to pay close attention to the descriptions and the technical specs, and to read between the lines where necessary, you should be able to avoid being fooled. Once or twice I've sent something back to B&H that I wouldn't have bought if I'd seen it first, but it happens so rarely as to be insignificant.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

There are some things that I am willing to buy online... but there are other things that I really WANT to see in real-life before I buy.

You might think I'm referring to the cameras or lenses... but I tend to trust buying those online.  When I buy tripods, light stands, and the countless numbers of adapters that will let me connect "this part" to "that part" ... I want to SEE the thing in person.  I find the photos of the parts online just don't give me a sense of build quality nor even of scale.

There is a very good camera store and it's not too far from my home and easy for me to get there. 

The tax implication of buying local vs. online has dimished a bit... Adorama blew the same order three times in a row and I ultimately returned the order and bought it somewhere else (who got it right the first time) so I no longer buy from them.  Amazon has local presence in my state so all Amazon orders are taxed as if local.  That pretty much just leaves B&H.  I still shop at B&H but I also buy from my local camera store.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da
Announcements