cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Critiques

grams230
Contributor

I am looking for serious critiques of my work.  The people in camera club just say, "Oh, that's a nice picture."  My husband and I have been amateur photographers since our TV broke in 1965.  For most of that time I have been a serious 'snapshooter.'  Now I would like to get serious.  I don't want to start a business or get a name, just take really good photos.  Please go to my album and make helpful comments.  Thank you.

Grams230

13 REPLIES 13

cicopo
Elite

If you really want both critique & an opportunity to see how others go about a similar style of photography this forum has a section for that in the "Photography Talk by Genre" section. There are several other sub sections to the site you may enjoy too & it's free, doesn't bombard you with SPAM or advertising once you join. (I think you see some ads if you're not a member).

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/index.php

I realized there is also a Critique section here too.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/board/4

Both have a very good member base in every aspect of photography

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks Cicopo.  These look like good sites.  A friend goes to the Fred Miranda site frequently and raves about it the tips he gets.  He never said anything about critiques.

Grams230

The 2 sites I recommended are both helpful in many ways & can be a bit of a pain in a few ways. Way back when I joined FM I spent most of my time in the Canon section & at that time there were a lot of members who liked to spend other peoples money by ALWAYS recommending Canon L series lenses no matter what. One day a 13 year old asked about a Sigma lens (70-300) so he could shoot birds at the local park. When the masses insisted he save his money until he could afford a 100-400 L IS because that was the ONLY way to get the job done I lost it. I was the first person in that thread to butt heads with those types of people & wondered if I'd be cut from membership but fortunately several others joined in to say we don't need the best of whatever to have a bit of fun. Things aren't that way any way near how they were back then & many members use & recommend the 3rd party lenses when it sounds like a good fit. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Thanks KVbarkley.  The sites you listed - are they good or bad?  Should I be careful of someone stealing my images?  Since I don't sell them, that really doesn't matter to me.  I do appreciate that it is a big problem to most people.  And I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to criticism.  I did just sign up for Fred Miranda and Photography on the Net.

That site is a parody of internet critiques. It takes images of famous photogrpahers and makes up clueless internet comments for them.

Woman HappyThanks KVbarkley.  The sites you listed - are they good or bad?  Should I be careful of someone stealing my images?  Since I don't sell them, that really doesn't matter to me.  I do appreciate that it is a big problem to most people.  And I have a pretty thick skin when it comes to criticism.  I did just sign up for Fred Miranda and Photography on the Net. 

@grams230 wrote:

I am looking for serious critiques of my work.  The people in camera club just say, "Oh, that's a nice picture."  My husband and I have been amateur photographers since our TV broke in 1965.  For most of that time I have been a serious 'snapshooter.'  Now I would like to get serious.  I don't want to start a business or get a name, just take really good photos.  Please go to my album and make helpful comments.  Thank you.

Grams230

Did you mean to include a link? I don't seem to see one.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

Sorry Robert.  I'm new to this site.  I thought all you had to do was click on my user name, then click on my pictures.  That's how I found your lovely picture of the candles.  The golden light is perfect to set the mood.  What if you put the candle holder on a mirror?  Hmm; would probably just clutter the shot.  Maybe a couple of crystal wine glasses or a perfect rose.  Or maybe just leave it the way it is.

Grams230

Announcements