cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Concerts are hard to shoot sometimes.

ilzho
Rising Star

So I went to local venue and did some quick concert shooting for a few songs with random lighting and found out, it's challenging at times.

Here's a true throw away picture, but I wanted to post it to show any other beginners, what not to do.

For this pic, I had my camera settings in raw, av mode, bbf, 2.8, awb, auto iso limited max to 6400 and tried to set minimum shutter speed to 250. I did something wrong as the minimum shutter speed didn't work.

Also, I used evaluative metering.

Now, I did get some tack sharp images, but I should have going to manual mode, set shutter speed to atleast 250, 2.8, bbf, auto iso and spot metering and I would have had better results.

Just wanted to share my learning experience for anyone else who is trying to learn.... ( I realize most of you all are experts)

383A8697.jpg

13 REPLIES 13

My brother (who use to shoot in college) said the same thing, Edit, edit, edit.....

He said instead of 100 photos, I should have 30-40, unless the artist or venue is wanting all or most of the shots....

I did two Senior shoots and a wedding yesterday, yeah I know I'm retired.  I shot around 500+ on the two girls. I shot about a 1000 at the wedding.  I had a camera in my hands for 11 hours.

It will take me all week to edit them. Coarse delete, then fine delete, then dups delete.  Nobody wants to see the same photo over and over.

Oh, did I mention the car show afterwards?  A couple hundred there!

_D3X7081.jpg

Edit, edit, edit.....................Smiley Very Happy

The life of a photographer.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I did two Senior shoots and a wedding yesterday, yeah I know I'm retired.  I shot around 500+ on the two girls. I shot about a 1000 at the wedding.  I had a camera in my hands for 11 hours.

It will take me all week to edit them. Coarse delete, then fine delete, then dups delete.  Nobody wants to see the same photo over and over.

Oh, did I mention the car show afterwards?  A couple hundred there!

_D3X7081.jpg

Edit, edit, edit.....................Smiley Very Happy

The life of a photographer.

And a caveat that applies specifically to weddings: You don't dare accidentally discard the only picture that includes the bride's sister's husband's mother. As sure as you do, somebody will notice.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"And a caveat that applies specifically to weddings: You don't dare accidentally discard the only picture that includes the bride's sister's husband's mother. As sure as you do, somebody will notice."

Back in 2010 when my son got married, in addition to the usual public wedding album, dozens and dozens of exclusive photos for the bride and groom, the photographer turned over a CD with hundreds of shots he took the day of the wedding, my son said.  I guess he just ran a batch job overnight to generate JPEGs, and burnt it to a disk..

The files on the disk were at significantly reduced resolution than the main [very printable] photos, though.  The CD files were the ideal size for posting on social media.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."
Announcements