Canon Community Canon Community

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Cheap lens caps

[ Edited ]

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I hardly to never use or have a lens cap.  Most full timers and pros don't use lens caps at least the ones I know don't.  Mostly goes back on when I put the lens away in its bag where it does a magnificent job of protecting it.

I have to confess I'm baffled by that. Ernie loves lenses. He's owned most of the lenses Canon has ever made and a good percentage of those made by several other manufacturers. Full timer or not, how can such a committed connoisseur eschew lens caps? It's like a coin collector storing his collection in a plastic bucket.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Super Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

I hardly to never use or have a lens cap.  Most full timers and pros don't use lens caps at least the ones I know don't.  Mostly goes back on when I put the lens away in its bag where it does a magnificent job of protecting it.

Well, about the only time I put the cap back on is when I am finished in the field. As I say, I usually have a filter on (UV or CP), as I am often in the desert or around tidepools.

I never keep the cap on in the field, or walk around with it, as I have missed some shots that way and learned early on that a shot missed is gone for good. You can't pose wildlife like you can friends or family. But once done for the day, I like to put the cap on as I would rather it absorb any undue scuffs, bumps or jostling around rather than a B+W filter. YMMV.  

VIP

"It's like a coin collector storing his collection in a plastic bucket."

I beg your pardon, I use Tupperware !   Smiley LOL  Lenses are just tools.

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Respected Contributor

I replaced all of my Canon older lens caps with the center-pinch after-market ones.  They work just as well.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
Esteemed Contributor

@diverhank wrote:

I replaced all of my Canon older lens caps with the center-pinch after-market ones.  They work just as well.

If you say so. Center-pinch caps are usually thicker in the middle, and not all lenses have enough clearance to accommodate them. I believe that's why Canon tends to use center-pinch caps on their telephotos, but not on their wider lenses. If you use Canon's intended cap, the lens won't get scratched.

Bob
Boston, Massachusetts USA
Respected Contributor

Happily there were no such scratches...(I had made sure there was enough room). I've been using them way before Canon comes out with their own.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr
VIP

" If you use Canon's intended cap protecto filters, the lens won't get scratched."

A lot less stuff for 2018 but still a lot of Canon stuff. Along with, a lot of other stuff.
Honored Contributor

@ebiggs1 wrote:

" If you use Canon's intended cap protecto filters, the lens won't get scratched."

Yup.  And, I admit to being blind in one eye makes me a real goofball when it comes to replacing a lens cap.  

Sometimes, I reach to remove the lens cap, only t find out that I already removed it, and I smearing the lens filter.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"I don't rent software. I use Photoshop CS6, ACR 9.8 and Lightroom 6.8 ."