cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cheap lens caps

John_SD
Whiz

Does anyone know of a cheap source for lens caps? I seem to lose mine in the field. The cap I had for my Canon 18-135mm  STM costs $8, which seems high. 

I do keep a UV or polarizing filter on, especially in some of the harsher environments. Once in the field, I remove the cap for the day, but I like to keep a cap on until then. Or do you guys dispense with the cap entirely?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

2 or 3 years back I bought some center pinch caps (all as 77 mm replacements but there is a good variety of sizes available) from an Ebay seller based in China for under $3 each & free shipping. Took 2 or 3 weeks but they fit great & were worth the money. I bought lens hoods from another seller & they worked great too but took longer to get here.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

17 REPLIES 17

@John_SD wrote:

Does anyone know of a cheap source for lens caps? I seem to lose mine in the field. The cap I had for my Canon 18-135mm  STM costs $8, which seems high. 

I do keep a UV or polarizing filter on, especially in some of the harsher environments. Once in the field, I remove the cap for the day, but I like to keep a cap on until then. Or do you guys dispense with the cap entirely?

I think it's fair to say that even those of us who don't use "protective" filters have a great respect for lens caps. If I'm shooting an indoor event, I guess I usually leave the cap(s) in my pocket for the duration. If I'm out in the field, I generally try to keep the cap on whenever I'm not shooting.

Actually, I've lost the case for a 580EX II speedlite (and couldn't replace it, because Canon doesn't sell it) since the last time I lost a lens cap.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

2 or 3 years back I bought some center pinch caps (all as 77 mm replacements but there is a good variety of sizes available) from an Ebay seller based in China for under $3 each & free shipping. Took 2 or 3 weeks but they fit great & were worth the money. I bought lens hoods from another seller & they worked great too but took longer to get here.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Cicopo, thanks for the Ebay suggestion! I hadn't thought of that before your post. I just ordered two Canon 67mm caps from a guy for $4.95. That's a price I can live with. 

Robert, sorry to read about the loss of your speedlite case. I hope it was empty LOL. 

@John_SD wrote:

Cicopo, thanks for the Ebay suggestion! I hadn't thought of that before your post. I just ordered two Canon 67mm caps from a guy for $4.95. That's a price I can live with. 

Robert, sorry to read about the loss of your speedlite case. I hope it was empty LOL. 

Yeah, it was empty, but the incident was embarrassing. And the Brand-X case I had to settle for didn't fit very well.

Bob

@cicopo wrote:

One has to be a bit careful in such cases. Some lenses can take a center-pinch cap and some can't.

Bob

I bought 8 & have put all of them to use. I'm thinking of ordering a few more plus some other sizes.

Think Tank makes a nice pouch for our flash units. I have 2 and they are very nice fits & high quality.

@cicopo wrote:

Think Tank makes a nice pouch for our flash units. I have 2 and they are very nice fits & high quality.

The case I bought was high in quality, but it was really made for the original 580EX. The 580EX-II is just enough larger to make it a tight fit.

Bob

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

I hardly to never use or have a lens cap.  Most full timers and pros don't use lens caps at least the ones I know don't.  Mostly goes back on when I put the lens away in its bag where it does a magnificent job of protecting it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
Announcements