cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon T6i with Tamron 60 mm lens in Ikelite underwater housing

britwitt
Contributor

Good day.

I have having issues getting the underwater strobes to fire while using a tamron 60 mm lens.  Using an Ikelte underwater housing.   Strobes work fine wih the canon 18-135mm lens. 

Thank you for any help on this. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I downloaded the manual & my suggestion is to look very carefully at the hotshoe adapter & see if it's touching anything that might move it back or tilt it as you install the body into the housing. If you don't see anything obvious install the camera & lens into the housing & hook up your strobe but DON'T close up the housing but test fire the camera to see if the strobe fires. If it does (try several times to confirm it's working correctly) close up the housing & try again. If it stops working you have an interferance problem that's moving the hotshoe adapter off of at least 1 terminal. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

View solution in original post

10 REPLIES 10

cicopo
Elite

Need a lot more info. What strobes & how are you trying to trigger them?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

Ikelite housing, duel ikelite strobes, TTL metering though camera. 

Thanks 

OK now can you clear up this question. You mention they fire with the 18-135 lens but not the Tamron. Is that with the body & each lens (one at a time) in the housing? If so do both combo's work correctly outside the housing with a flash mounted on the hotshoe? Looking at photos of the housing I'm assuming the camera's hot shoe is some how connected to the strobes via some form of connector on the top of the housing. The only thing that seems likely to me without having it in my hands is the body isn't fitting into the housing exactly the same for each combination & therefore a terminal isn't touching. 

I downloaded the manual & my suggestion is to look very carefully at the hotshoe adapter & see if it's touching anything that might move it back or tilt it as you install the body into the housing. If you don't see anything obvious install the camera & lens into the housing & hook up your strobe but DON'T close up the housing but test fire the camera to see if the strobe fires. If it does (try several times to confirm it's working correctly) close up the housing & try again. If it stops working you have an interferance problem that's moving the hotshoe adapter off of at least 1 terminal. 

Thank you, fault located.  A slightly sticky contact was found.  Cleaned and working now.  

You're welcome. Have you dove Cozumel?

Yes, quite a few times.  Fun drift diving. 

I've emtied hundreds of tanks there. Go almost every year in early Feb. Got a fantastic photo last trip on my first dive & then lost the camera at the boat when another diver got tangled in my buoy. The owner of the dive shop sent someone to try to find it the next day & he did at 150 feet. It worked perfectly for another day but died that night. The housing & strobes were fine so I'll buy another G9 (used or maybe even 2) & be ready for next winter's trip. I've printed the photo as a 16 X 20 & sent it to the dive shop as a special thank you. (I have also tore down the old camera just to see if it had any water damage even though the housing seemed dry. No water damage, just reached it's end of life cycle & saw a lot of use.)

IMG_6165V5.jpg 

Great picture.  Well done.  

Announcements