cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Canon 80d takes pictures by itself when turned on

Miagd69
Apprentice
Looking for suggestions. Just got a new camera and when I turn it on the flash pops up and the camera takes a couple pictures. The screen on the top of the camera says busy while it does this. This occurs every time I turn it on. Any suggestions are appreciated. Using a 16-300 tamron lense.

Thank you!
5 REPLIES 5

Waddizzle
Legend
Legend

@Miagd69 wrote:
Looking for suggestions. Just got a new camera and when I turn it on the flash pops up and the camera takes a couple pictures. The screen on the top of the camera says busy while it does this. This occurs every time I turn it on. Any suggestions are appreciated. Using a 16-300 tamron lense.

Thank you!

If the camera is new, then it should be under warranty.  You can contact US support at 1-800-OK-CANON.  The Canon web site has a link for international users.

Do you have a Canon lens that you can try?  

Does the camera return to "normal" after it takes a couple of shots?  
What happens if you power up the camera with a different lens [Canon], or no lens?

Have you tried going into the menus and resetting the camera back to "factory defaults"?

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

While this is definitely not normal behavior... try removing everything NOT made by Canon from the camera ... and then turn it on (you can turn on a camera with no lens at all).  

This means you should remove the Tamron lens (if you don't have a Canon lens then leave the lens off completely but you might want to put on the front dust cap on the body to prevent dust from getting in).

If you've installed a 3rd party battery grip, take that off.

Now try turning on the camera... does it still take exposures when powering up?

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Miagd69
Apprentice
It turned out to be the battery grip. Camera shop is replacing. Thank you all very much.

I think having a battery grip is a minor detail you left out of your OP.

Miagd69
Apprentice
My apologies. Being new to the forum and this level of camera I did not make the correlation.
Announcements