cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best "getting started" body/lens package (80D or T6s)?

db1975va
Apprentice

Me: amateur photog, strictly hobbyist. Moving from an older Olympus.  I shoot mostly kids sports (track and softball) and landscapes during travel and hiking trips. Some indoor shots at family events and parties. I want the ability to advance my skills and explore a bit more RAW post-processing, and try out some newer techniques and lenses.

I've narrowed my decision on a new dSLR purchase to three models on the refurb site that fall within my budget (~$800US) and seem to line up with my needs. Given my targeted spend, I want to maximize my bang for the buck with the overall kit, especially with the included lens(es), so I have enough options to work with until I save up for some more glass:

EOS 80D EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Kit Refurbished - $779

EOS Rebel T6s EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Kit Refurbished - $749

EOS Rebel T6s EF-S 18-135mm IS STM Lens Kit & EF-S 55-250mm IS STM Refurbished - $809

The 80D clearly gets me the better body but with a more limited lens at the start. The T6s is a step backward for the body, but I'd maximize value with the lenses - I'm just having trouble determining how much I'd be sacrificing with the T6s.

Also a factor, my father-in-law said he'd give me his 70-300 he no longer uses, so I'd have that in my bag.  Just not sure I'd want to lug that around anytime I want to get past 55mm - the 18-135 sounds like a great "do-it-all" lens.

Ugh, I'm torn.  But I need to pull the trigger soon, the refurb deals (which seem pretty phenomenal) likely won't be around forever.

Any thoughts?

10 REPLIES 10

diverhank
Authority

I'd go with the 80D.  It's way more capable than the alternative.  You can always get better lenses later.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

@diverhank wrote:

I'd go with the 80D.  It's way more capable than the alternative.  You can always get better lenses later.

I agree. Just having AFMA is probably worth the price difference.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@diverhank wrote:

I agree. Just having AFMA is probably worth the price difference.

The AF system is the crown jewel.  It is REALLY good, and has 27 f/8 AF points, arranged as three rows of nine, which is much better than having just a single center f/8 AF point.  The 80D tracks and focuses quickly, and accurately, in AI Servo mode.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

@diverhank wrote:

I agree.  If Canon wants to give away the 80D at that price, take it, and laugh at them.  I have.

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"EOS 80D EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Kit Refurbished - $779"  Smiley Happy

All the way!  No choice really go for the 80D kit.

However, I would do my best to steer clear of the 70-300mm (black one) if possible. You can do better.  And better means better results in your photos. The lens is where its at.  Not the camera.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Thanks, everyone.  The 70-300 will be a hand-me-down so likely just temporary.  I'll look for good deals on a replacement once I'm ready for that.  

How does the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM perform?  That will be my primary lens out of the gate.

Any chance Canon rolls out any promo codes for the refurb store in the immediate future?

@db1975va wrote:

Thanks, everyone.  The 70-300 will be a hand-me-down so likely just temporary.  I'll look for good deals on a replacement once I'm ready for that.  

How does the 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM perform?  That will be my primary lens out of the gate.

Any chance Canon rolls out any promo codes for the refurb store in the immediate future?

It is a great lens.  Canon is practically giving it away in the Refurbished Outlet.  The deal will not last forever, and they are known to run out of stock, particularly around holidays when sales volume tends to spike.

@db1975va wrote:

The 70-300mm is not as nearly bad as the 75-300mm lens, which has long been inclulded in entry level camera kits.  

Canon does not offer promo codes.  Canon simply reduces prices for a brief period, like a week, or a weekend.

Definitely won't wait much longer.  How do they spread the news if they drop a promo code?

Announcements