cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best archiving software

offtheroad
Contributor

since Aperture is goen what is the next best archiveing Photo app, Thanks I'm now using Adobe Light room but have problems resolving duplicate images.

6 REPLIES 6

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Aperture still works -- occasionally Apple even makes tiny updates.  They just don't sell it anymore and there will never be a new version.  

I also used Aperture and converted to Lightroom.  Lightroom has a lot of cool features, but asset management was better in Aperture (for a lot of reasons -- Adobe is a bit klunky in how it manages image assets.)

I am not having problems with duplicate images.  My own annoyances are that I have so many images that I use an external storage array to hold them (I don't use the internal drive) and from time to time I keep catching Lightroom reverting to my internal drive and I find INCREDIBLY annoying.  I really want to talk to their developers about it... basically I want to set the destination folder for my masters.  If that drive can't be accessed I do not want them to change it... I want them to alert me.  Unfortunately Adobe will change it and not tell you... and the next thing you know half your images got imported to the wrong drive.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

I use Microsoft's SyncToy to copy large numbers of files.  It's very fast, especially across hard wired network connections.  

Once i have my image files out of the camera, saved, and backed up, then I begin the Import into Lightroom from their existing network locations.  Because the originals are at a network location, I also "create smart previews" during the Import process, which seems to create a local copy of the CR2, but saved as a TIFF.

As far as Exporting files goes, I always use presets, which predefine where the files are to be saved.  I have never had Lightroom make unexpected changes to any of my presets.

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

Thanks for the reply. Here is my 1 of 2 issues this screen shot shows how many duplicates I have and also why is my catalogue so small 15GB when I have over 800 GB's of images. I keep all my RAW images on a seperate intwer 1TB HD.LR Duplicates.png

I don't have an immediate answer for your duplicates, but realtive to your catalog question - the catalog doesn't contain your images. It contains information about your images. It tells Lightroom where to find tghem and what edits have been performed.

Think of it like the card catalog at your library. The library could be three stories tall but the card catalog sits in a small cabinet.

It may be a terminoligy issue, but lightroom is not an archiving software; it doesn't even have one copy of your images.

I use Goodsync to backup from one drive to a second and iDrive for cloud backup.

iDrive has a feature where they will send you a hard drive and you copy all your files to that drive and send it back to them. Then they populate your cloud storage the first time. Once they tell you they are all set then you can backup chnages/new files over the air. Tremendous time saver if you have many GB of files.

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic

Thanks for the replys. So LR dosent make it's own Library like Aperture did. Aperture also made a Vault. I hate LR but I guess thats the best choice for us old Aperture users. I just need to get this issue of duplicates solved.

This might help.

http://laurashoe.com/2014/12/15/find-and-eliminate-duplicate-photos-in-lightroom/

John Hoffman
Conway, NH

1D X Mark III, Many lenses, Pixma PRO-100, Pixma TR8620a, LR Classic
Announcements