cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Anyone used a Lens Flipper

ilzho
Rising Star

I only have one camera body and I have been finding times that I wish I either had a second camera body with my other lens attached to it, or had my other lens readily available to switch out.

I was searching for something to help alleviate this issue for me and I ran across a 'Lens Flipper'.

Has anyone seen this or used it?

Do you have any thoughts or suggestions?

[link removed per forum guidelines]

17 REPLIES 17

I use a Toploader Pro 75 AW II Holster Bag from Lowepro.  My big lenses are the newet 70-200 and 100-400, which are near identical in size, so either fits into the bag.  I love the bag.  It's pretty big, too.  I highly recommend it to anyone who reads this.  It's about the size of a rugby ball. 

--------------------------------------------------------
"The right mouse button is your friend."

I go out with a fairly wide range of lens sizes so I use a wide range of carrying devices:

LowePro:

Slingthot 200AW when I want to carry three bodies and some kit - two bodies with moderate sized lenses plus carrying one.

Toploader zoom 50 AW for smaller zooms

Toploader zoom 55AW for a smaller to mid-size soom and body

Toploader TLZ AW for a larger zoom like the 100-400 or 28-300

The problem is I always have a bettery grip attached and units like the XD and XXD bodies with grip are a tight fit.

I resolved the issue with the Think Tank system, they have extra width to accommodate the body and grip, and they have an extendible sleeve for the lens so I can extend or contract the holster as required to fit my configuration.

I got waist belt that attaches the holsters and that gets the weight off my shoulders and onto my hips, I just have to remember that when wearing the system I am much wider than I normally am, so china shops are out as a destination! {:-D

For hiking and travel I use the Kata Bumblee UL-222 (sadly no longer made) which has an external frame, lots of spce for lenses bodies and accessories, tripod etc, and even a loptop or water bladder!

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris

Lowepro makes some heavily padded holsters.  They have  bags with differing depths, which you seem to have.  But, they also have bags for differing camera body sizes, for bodies with or without a battery grip.

@Tronhard wrote:

I go out with a fairly wide range of lens sizes so I use a wide range of carrying devices:

LowePro:

Slingthot 200AW when I want to carry three bodies and some kit - two bodies with moderate sized lenses plus carrying one.

Toploader zoom 50 AW for smaller zooms

Toploader zoom 55AW for a smaller to mid-size soom and body

Toploader TLZ AW for a larger zoom like the 100-400 or 28-300

The problem is I always have a bettery grip attached and units like the XD and XXD bodies with grip are a tight fit.

I resolved the issue with the Think Tank system, they have extra width to accommodate the body and grip, and they have an extendible sleeve for the lens so I can extend or contract the holster as required to fit my configuration.

I got waist belt that attaches the holsters and that gets the weight off my shoulders and onto my hips, I just have to remember that when wearing the system I am much wider than I normally am, so china shops are out as a destination! {:-D

For hiking and travel I use the Kata Bumblee UL-222 (sadly no longer made) which has an external frame, lots of spce for lenses bodies and accessories, tripod etc, and even a loptop or water bladder!

Why are battery grips as popular as they are? I've never used a digital camera whose battery couldn't be changed out in five seconds. Except possibly for some very unusual types of photography (battleground photojournalism, maybe?), I don't see how the benefits of a grip justify the extra size and weight.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

"Why are battery grips as popular as they are? I've never used a digital camera whose battery couldn't be changed out in five seconds. Except possibly for some very unusual types of photography (battleground photojournalism, maybe?), I don't see how the benefits of a grip justify the extra size and weight."

I have big hands.  So, the grip gives the camera a better fit in my hands.  I can sit the back left corner of the camera on my palm, near my thumb, and my fingers can reach zoom and focus rings just right on most lenses.

The extra weight it gives the camera balances well with handheld lenses large enough to have a tripod foot, like the 70-200 or 100-400.  I probably look like an idiot, but I keep the tripod foot on the lenses when I handhold the camera.  When I hold the foot, the camera is balanced, front to back.  Besides, the foot is a good carrying handle when walking, too.

As far as extra battery capacity goes, I can go much longer between recharges with the grip.  I can shoot for 2-3 hours with the 150-600 super telephoto, and not come close to running down the battery.  I don't need to stop and change batteries, although I could probably use the 5 minute rest :). 

Finally, the grip makes your camera look really COOL.

@Waddizzle wrote:

"Why are battery grips as popular as they are? I've never used a digital camera whose battery couldn't be changed out in five seconds. Except possibly for some very unusual types of photography (battleground photojournalism, maybe?), I don't see how the benefits of a grip justify the extra size and weight."

I have big hands.  So, the grip gives the camera a better fit in my hands.  ...

Finally, I understand.  Smiley Happy

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

@Waddizzle wrote:

I have big hands.  So, the grip gives the camera a better fit in my hands.  ...

Finally, I understand.  Smiley Happy

Seriously, everything I wrote is why like using the grip..  You really don't need to have BIG hands to appreciate the better feel and BALANCE in your hand, particularly with lenses with the weight of a 70-200mm f/2.8.

Just be aware that most camera bags do not accomodate a camera body with a grip.  I bought a grip for my 6D, and suddenly found myself in the market for a new camera bag.  That's when I bought the Lowepro Holster.  Followed by a back pack big enough to hold a pro-sized body with an attached lens.

If you go for a battery grip, stick with a Canon grip.  I took advantage of a sale when I saw it online, not because I planned on getting one.  Stick with a Canon grip because your weather sealed camera body won't be as well protected with a third party grip.  Besides, the thrid party grips don't have the same surface texture, either.  The third party grips don't have the same shape and hand feel [and button positions] when you rotate to portrait mode, either.

I think it was money well spent.  I take better pictures because the camera FEELS better in the hand.

With regards battery grips, first I have to say it's an individual choice which, for me, is based on convenience (not having to change batteries), hand size (while not huge hands I find the grip gives me more to grab hold of), extra controls (when held for portrait shots the grips have controls on the top-right, like a camera body) and balance (I use a lot of heavy lenses and it feels much less front-heavy when I have the grip on.)

I don't have a battery grip for looks, knowing I pay for the grip and the effort in the extra weight I am carrying, especially with knees that are complaining from advancing arthritis.

Those reasons work for me, but it's definitely not for everyone.

cheers, TREVOR

"The Amount of Misery expands to fill the space available"
"All the variety, all the charm, all the beauty of life is made up of light and shadow", Leo Tolstoy;
"Skill in photography is acquired by practice and not by purchase" Percy W. Harris
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements