cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

A1 35mm like new with 5 lenses. Any value? What do I do with it

KFriedel
Apprentice

I have my fathers old camera and all the lenses.   manuals and all.   What do I do with it?   Any value to selling it?  if so where?  if not, what do I do with it???  Hate to throw away something like this but I have no use for it.  Not much of a camera buff.

21 REPLIES 21

diverhank
Authority

@KFriedel wrote:

I have my fathers old camera and all the lenses.   manuals and all.   What do I do with it?   Any value to selling it?  if so where?  if not, what do I do with it???  Hate to throw away something like this but I have no use for it.  Not much of a camera buff.

I'm afraid there is not much money in these old cameras and lenses. There was simply too many of them around.  Depending on the quality of the lenses, you might be able to fetch a few hundred dollars (if they're of professional grade).  In general, I've seen boxes full of these old lenses sold at camera shows for 5 or 10 bucks each and nobody bothered with them. Like most older folks, I myself have a box full of the stuff leftover from days gone by.

================================================
Diverhank's photos on Flickr

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

If what you have is in excellent shape and not knowing what you have exactly, guessing, a $150 to $200 bucks.  However, you will have to find a buyer that wants to play around with film.  They are out there.  I am one but we are few and far between.

Like the post above, I have seen lots of this type stuff sit and sit and sit with out much interest.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

@KFriedel wrote:

Donate it to your local photography museum and take a tax deduction. If they want it, they should be able to tell you what it's worth.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

TTMartin
Authority
Authority
Newer mirrorless cameras can use the lenses, and amateur film makers like mechanical apertures and manual focus lenses so there has been a bit of a jump in value on old lenses. But it is more in terms of $30-$40 per lens as opposed to $10 or $20. The camera and other gear almost no value at all.

Though I heard that Kodak-lite is re-introducing Ektachrome film.

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

You could look for a photo club (perhaps a local school if they have one) and offer to donate it.  This may be harder than you think... I'm noticing that a LOT of photography classes & clubs (some that traditionally insisted that students "learn" with a film camera) have moved away from film and are digital only these days.

You could also sell it.

You can check websites such as KEH (whcih buys and sells use camera gear).    They'll show you what they would charge based on it's condition (and you can look up their definitions of the condition).  

So an A1 body in "excellent" condition could be sold on KEH for as much as $159 (or it could be sold for less... they appraise the condition).

But this isn't what YOU could sell it for.  If you try to sell it to a company that deals in used gear, they'll offer you MUCH less than that (becuase they want to make a profit).  They list the Canon A1 body being worth $21-$126 (depending on what's included and it's condition).

You could also sell it on Craigslit or eBay ... but buyers there are typically looking for "deals" (so you wouldn't be able to charge  the same amount as a major camera retailer could charge for the same used gear.)

As for the lenses... that really varies depending on lens.  Most are worth less than $50 and and often worth less than $25.  But a few are worth more.  

If you just want to sell it, and don't want to deal with Cragistlist or eBay shoppers, you could sell it to a company like KEH.  You'll get less for it (they offer less because they want to make a profit on the deal), but it'll be less hassle to you and it would be better than tossing it in the trash (at least you'd get something for the gear.)

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

Yeah, there are a lot of things you can try to do if you have unlimited time on your hands. I stand by my original suggestion.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

KEH?   Does that stand for something (sorry) or do I just google KEH and I will find it?   I'm ok with doing some "work" to sell or do whatever with this equipment.  I've been looking at it for the past 3+ years sitting in the corner of my office.  Its time for it to find a new home.....

KEH is a .com company that buys and sells camera gear. They have a very good reputation for selling quality gear at fair prices. I've bought gear from them, but, have never sold gear.

Announcements