cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

where to find out with serial number to verify whether my dslr is genuine or not?

dextorque
Apprentice

where to find out with serial number to verify whether my dslr is genuine or not?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Hey guys!

The following information can be found at https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/gray_market

Information on Parallel or "Gray Market" Products

Canon sells and supports Canon-brand consumer and professional products in the U.S. through Canon U.S.A., which distributes these products through its authorized dealers and distributors. Canon U.S.A. is the only authorized importer of these products in the U.S., and provides industry-leading customer service and support for them. Products distributed by Canon U.S.A. are "localized" to meet the needs of customers in the U.S. market and are engineered to comply with local safety regulations and governmental requirements. As such, these products come with different accessories, manuals, and warranties than the versions intended for sale in other global regions such as Asia. Any Canon-brand products which are imported and sold other than by this method are referred to as "parallel," or "Gray Market," products (collectively, "Gray Market Products").

Hazards and Difficulties Associated with "Gray Market" Products

Customers in the U.S. may find that Gray Market Products do not meet their expectations because they were not intended by Canon for sale in the U.S. In some cases, sellers of Gray Market Products may attempt to localize the products themselves by adding, changing or removing certain accessories from the products, which may result in the following:

• including in product packaging illegal or counterfeit accessories, such as batteries, chargers, and ink tanks, which can cause injury and seriously damage your Canon product;
  • an incorrect power cord or adapter which was not provided, or quality checked, by Canon;
  • incorrect software or illegal copies of software which may not function;
  • poor photocopies of the original manual;
  • a fake Canon U.S. warranty, a warranty provided by a third party, or no warranty at all; and
  • a device with a serial number which cannot be registered with Canon in the U.S.

Customers should also be aware that Gray Market Products may not be eligible for:

• coverage under a U.S. warranty;
  • U.S. promotions, including mail-in and instant rebates; and
  • technical support

If you are in doubt about a seller, or whether the products it sells are intended for the U.S., please visit http://usa.canon.com/authorizeddealers for a list of Canon U.S.A.'s Authorized Dealers. New and genuine Canon products intended for sale in the U.S. can only be purchased from Canon Authorized Dealers in the U.S. or from Canon U.S.A. directly.

To learn more about counterfeit products, please visit http://usa.canon.com/aboutcounterfeits to view important information.

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31

cicopo
Elite

And what would make you think it isn't genuine?

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

TCampbell
Elite
Elite

Usually what you want to know is... did the camera come with the North America (US & Canada) warranty card in the box with the serial number pre-printed on that card which matches the serial number of the body.

This tells you if it has a US/Canada warranty and would be serviceable at service centers here.  "Import" versions usually aren't covered by the US/Canada warranty.  Some stores will "import" cameras via their own channels and sell them at a slight savings.  The reputable stores will disclose whether it's the "USA" versions vs. the "Import" version.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

@TCampbell wrote:

Usually what you want to know is... did the camera come with the North America (US & Canada) warranty card in the box with the serial number pre-printed on that card which matches the serial number of the body.

This tells you if it has a US/Canada warranty and would be serviceable at service centers here.  "Import" versions usually aren't covered by the US/Canada warranty.  Some stores will "import" cameras via their own channels and sell them at a slight savings.  The reputable stores will disclose whether it's the "USA" versions vs. the "Import" version.

I've bought a lot of Canon gear, and I can't recall ever seeing such a card. I can practically swear that I've never filled one out and sent it in. But the one time I needed warranty work, my camera was accepted without question. So they must be keeping track of the serial numbers somewhere.

Also, when you join CPS or upgrade to a higher level, you have to supply the serial numbers of qualifying items. None of my serial numbers have ever been questioned, so again this shows they're keeping track.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

@RobertTheFat wrote:

I've bought a lot of Canon gear, and I can't recall ever seeing such a card. I can practically swear that I've never filled one out and sent it in. But the one time I needed warranty work, my camera was accepted without question. So they must be keeping track of the serial numbers somewhere.

If you had real Canon gear for this market... you had the warranty card.  I always register my gear online rather than mailing in the card... I still have my cards for all of my cameras.

The card says "CANON LIMITED WARRANTY" and is sub-titled "CANON U.S.A., INC.  CANON CANADA INC."

The model & body number will be pre-printed on the card, but everything else is blank.

That warranty card is the only way I know of for a consumer to know if they own a US & Canada version importanted and backed by Canon USA, rather than an international version imported by someone else as a gray-market camera and not backed by the Canon USA warranty & service.   Without that card... you'd probably have to phone Canon to ask.

Tim Campbell
5D III, 5D IV, 60Da

What do you have to say about these "grey market" cameras?  I bought a 1Dx from Japan and it has been nothing but great.  I saved like a $1,000 and I even had it cared for here in Honolulu at a Canon Dealer.  I'm interested in buying a 5dsr and want to use the grey market again and find a bran new one for much cheaper.  Besides the warranty, is there anyting else to be aware of in regards to options, functions, and software upgrades?

Thanks

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"... verify whether my dslr is genuine or not?"

What does "genuine" mean?  Are you reffering to a USA version or a counterfeit?

The only difference between a USA and a World version is this card.

44.jpg

Counterfeits can be a challenge to spot and may take a trip to Canon to verify.

Nikon puts "US" in the serial number but Canon does not.  I am not sure even Canon has a way of knowing. And you hear stories that are all over the place.  The warranty clearly states that the card and the bill of sale must be presented for warranty service.  If you intend to pay for service, I don't think it matters who imported it.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!

Hey guys!

The following information can be found at https://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/standard_display/gray_market

Information on Parallel or "Gray Market" Products

Canon sells and supports Canon-brand consumer and professional products in the U.S. through Canon U.S.A., which distributes these products through its authorized dealers and distributors. Canon U.S.A. is the only authorized importer of these products in the U.S., and provides industry-leading customer service and support for them. Products distributed by Canon U.S.A. are "localized" to meet the needs of customers in the U.S. market and are engineered to comply with local safety regulations and governmental requirements. As such, these products come with different accessories, manuals, and warranties than the versions intended for sale in other global regions such as Asia. Any Canon-brand products which are imported and sold other than by this method are referred to as "parallel," or "Gray Market," products (collectively, "Gray Market Products").

Hazards and Difficulties Associated with "Gray Market" Products

Customers in the U.S. may find that Gray Market Products do not meet their expectations because they were not intended by Canon for sale in the U.S. In some cases, sellers of Gray Market Products may attempt to localize the products themselves by adding, changing or removing certain accessories from the products, which may result in the following:

• including in product packaging illegal or counterfeit accessories, such as batteries, chargers, and ink tanks, which can cause injury and seriously damage your Canon product;
  • an incorrect power cord or adapter which was not provided, or quality checked, by Canon;
  • incorrect software or illegal copies of software which may not function;
  • poor photocopies of the original manual;
  • a fake Canon U.S. warranty, a warranty provided by a third party, or no warranty at all; and
  • a device with a serial number which cannot be registered with Canon in the U.S.

Customers should also be aware that Gray Market Products may not be eligible for:

• coverage under a U.S. warranty;
  • U.S. promotions, including mail-in and instant rebates; and
  • technical support

If you are in doubt about a seller, or whether the products it sells are intended for the U.S., please visit http://usa.canon.com/authorizeddealers for a list of Canon U.S.A.'s Authorized Dealers. New and genuine Canon products intended for sale in the U.S. can only be purchased from Canon Authorized Dealers in the U.S. or from Canon U.S.A. directly.

To learn more about counterfeit products, please visit http://usa.canon.com/aboutcounterfeits to view important information.

Thank you very much! 

Announcements