cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what is better for clarity 5DMiii with a canon 500mm F4 or a 7D with a canon 100-400 shooting birds

dave45109
Apprentice

Which system will give you the best picture as far as clarity goes.  I am shooting with a 60d right now and looking to change.

3 REPLIES 3

kvbarkley
VIP
VIP

What is this thing called "clarity?"

Sharpness?

Focus?

Resolution?

diffraction effects?

@dave45109 wrote:

Which system will give you the best picture as far as clarity goes.  I am shooting with a 60d right now and looking to change.

There are quite a few variables in that equation, including the relative pixel sizes of the two cameras, the comparative sharpness of the two lenses, how much cropping you'd expect to do with the 500mm, etc. And I suspect that the bottom line is that it wouldn't make a huge difference which rig you chose. If you already have one of the cameras and/or one of the lenses, that could be the deciding factor.

Bob
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania USA

ebiggs1
Legend
Legend

"Which system will give you the best picture as far as clarity goes."

I am thinking you are referring to IQ. So in that context the correct answer is the 5D Mk III and ef 500mm f4L.  This is not even a close question.

Almost every time you ask a question like this the lens wins. Not the camera.  The ef 500mm f4L is much better than the zoom. But in this case the 5D Mk III is very capable and will hold its own.

Go with the 5D Mk III and ef 500mm f4L.

EB
EOS 1DX and 1D Mk IV and less lenses then before!
National Parks Week Sweepstakes style=

Enter for a chance to win!

April 20th-28th
Announcements