cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

what are the settings for a 60d to take pictures in a gym

yroberts
Apprentice

what camera settings do I use for my camera.. 

I have a 60d

lens 70-200mm ultrasonic

I want to take pictures in a gym of basketball

3 REPLIES 3

cicopo
Elite

Indoor sports can be a real challenge, even with the best of gear thanks to poor lighting. This advice relates to just about any Canon body but is based on my reading at other forums because I don't shoot action indoors, but I do shoot a lot of action. Set AF to AI SERVO, set ISO to 1600 or 3200 to start with but you may have to go higher. I hope your 70-200 is an f2.8 or it may be a problem. Many recommend using a 135 f1.8 instead. The fastest lens available (that is long enough) is needed & you'll be shooting wide open a lot of the time using Tv & experimenting as to how low a shutter speed can still freeze the action. It will be a balancing job between using a high enough ISO to get an acceptable shutter speed using Tv mode. 

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

cicopo
Elite

I forgot to mention that you may get your best results by using only the center AF point but it's going to take a bit of practice following the action using just it.

"A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought."

David
Enthusiast

Where the light is constant like in a gym, I find shooting in manual mode gives better results.

I would try

f/2.8, 1/500, ISO adjusted for proper exposure.

Announcements