cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

thinking of upgrading.. need advice..

Cannon88
Contributor

hello, i have a T2i i got for christmas about a year and 3 months ago, i am thinking of upgrading to a canon 5D mark II in a few months. i am in college for commerical photography and im also getting into doing wedding photography. i am curious cause i pretty much started when i got the camera and i notice a bunch of things and i love my sister's 5D mark III but i am not that experienced yet. i am taking my time and learning every day. but i want to know if that would be the best option for me so soon. i am going to invest in better lenses and i already have a flash 430 ex ll also a tripod. i dont know if i am jumping to fast into getting a better camera so quickly..

19 REPLIES 19

HDCamTeam
Enthusiast

@Cannon88 wrote:

hello, i have a T2i i got for christmas about a year and 3 months ago, i am thinking of upgrading to a canon 5D mark II in a few months. i am in college for commerical photography and im also getting into doing wedding photography. i am curious cause i pretty much started when i got the camera and i notice a bunch of things and i love my sister's 5D mark III but i am not that experienced yet. i am taking my time and learning every day. but i want to know if that would be the best option for me so soon. i am going to invest in better lenses and i already have a flash 430 ex ll also a tripod. i dont know if i am jumping to fast into getting a better camera so quickly..

Hi,

You meant jumping to the 5D Mark 2 or 5D Mark 3? It wasn't very clear above. There's a LOT of differences between these two models (besides the price 🙂 )

Cheers

HD Cam Team
Group of photographers and filmmakers using Canon cameras for serious purposes.
www.hdcamteam.com | www.twitter.com/HDCamTeam | www.facebook.com/HDCamTeam

just getting the 5D ll

I would not be afraid to jump to a 5D mk III from a T2i.  You certainly sound like a great candidate for the mk III.  I'm still learning about mine and probably always will be so don't let that steer you away from a mk III.   Assuming you got the funds, that is the way I'd go.  Of course you don't want to skimp on glass to get there.

I'm assuming you have some EF-S lens.  If so, I'd sell those and put the money towards the 5D mk III kit  which includes the 24-105.  The kit along with your 430EX II can take you a long ways.  Good luck

what lens r u thinking of getting??

well im thinking of getting the EF 24-70mm 1:2:8 lens... i am going to sell the camera with the kit lens that i got. its a big step for me since im attached to my T2i.. but if its worth it in the end i'm better off..

A full frame Canon is often paired with an EF 24-105L f/4 IS lens.  It has IS, and it is a very good lens, with a very useful focal range.  Even buying used, you might get the used lens with it.  Either way, the lens is very cheap when part of a package like that.  So cheap that you could also grab yourself a nice prime lens, like 85mm f/1.8 for just $350.00 new. 

Having both lenses, and having IS and the more useful focal range on the 24-105, and having the wider f/1.8 aperture on the prime, would more than make up for the 24-70's 1 stop wider aperture (f/2.8 vs. f/4). 

Also, conventional thinking says the 24-70 (at 70) is not quite enough telephoto to be ideal for portraits, but the 85mm is. 

Also, you will find that f/4 on a full frame gives the narrow DOF background blur/subject separation trick 1 1/3 stops better than the same lens on your crop did, so there is that.

Good luck with your rapidly expanding photography!

Scott

Canon 5d mk 4, Canon 6D, EF 70-200mm L f/2.8 IS mk2; EF 16-35 f/2.8 L mk. III; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 "Art" EF 100mm f/2.8L Macro; EF 85mm f/1.8; EF 1.4x extender mk. 3; EF 24-105 f/4 L; EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS; 3x Phottix Mitros+ speedlites

Why do so many people say "FER-tographer"? Do they take "fertographs"?

Hi Canon 88

the new 24-70 mk ll will be great, i personally have the older version its ok !, and yes you wll notice a big differance, but once you use L series forget about going back to the average offerings. 

just my thoughts for what there worth, and as for 85mm there is one lens to get , 

regards

Kev857

yea, i totally agree. my sister has that lens and the mk iii and omg such a difference its sick! i seen the quality and it had me when i seen it.. my T2i is great i love it but seeing the better qualities in other camera's and the lenses just had me and this is why im thinking of jumping up to the mk ii

thanks for answering my post. i def will look up that lens.
Announcements